Man arrested following 6-hour standoff in Taylorsville
TAYLORSVILLE — A SWAT team used tear gas to end a six-hour standoff early Friday with a man wanted for investigation of domestic violence.
The incident began just before midnight at 3639 W. 5180 South when a man and his wife got into a heated argument, resulting in the man pushing his wife down a flight of stairs, said Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal.
The woman, who suffered minor injuries, ran to a neighbor's house. The husband followed and again threatened the wife and the neighbor. The husband went back to his house when police were called and refused to come out when they came to his door, Hoyal said.
From about midnight until 2:30 a.m. Friday, officers attempted to convince the man to come out. When they learned that he may have firearms inside, a SWAT team was called to surround the house. Neighbors were evacuated to a nearby church.
At 6 a.m., the SWAT team ended the standoff by launching tear gas into the house. The man came out immediately and was arrested.
Aaron Dailess, 34, was arrested for investigation of aggravated domestic assault and resisting arrest. Dailess is also a convicted felon, Hoyal said, meaning that if a firearm is found inside the house after investigators execute a search warrant, he could face additional charges.
Alcohol was believed to be a factor in the domestic assault, Hoyal said.
- 'Meet the Mormons' reaches $4.5 million mark,...
- Updated newborn screening test picks up rare...
- Stay lifted on adoptions by same-sex parents...
- District attorney asks A.G. to consider...
- Several national parks vandalized, including...
- Two killed in high-speed, fiery crash into...
- 2 hospitalized after 6-car pileup in Centerville
- National Guard, DPS weigh possible...
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy... 126
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 97
- Stay lifted on adoptions by same-sex... 75
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 61
- GOP senators, congressmen offer support... 45
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015... 34
- 'Meet the Mormons' reaches $4.5 million... 31
- Support for statewide nondiscrimination... 19