Man arrested following 6-hour standoff in Taylorsville
TAYLORSVILLE — A SWAT team used tear gas to end a six-hour standoff early Friday with a man wanted for investigation of domestic violence.
The incident began just before midnight at 3639 W. 5180 South when a man and his wife got into a heated argument, resulting in the man pushing his wife down a flight of stairs, said Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal.
The woman, who suffered minor injuries, ran to a neighbor's house. The husband followed and again threatened the wife and the neighbor. The husband went back to his house when police were called and refused to come out when they came to his door, Hoyal said.
From about midnight until 2:30 a.m. Friday, officers attempted to convince the man to come out. When they learned that he may have firearms inside, a SWAT team was called to surround the house. Neighbors were evacuated to a nearby church.
At 6 a.m., the SWAT team ended the standoff by launching tear gas into the house. The man came out immediately and was arrested.
Aaron Dailess, 34, was arrested for investigation of aggravated domestic assault and resisting arrest. Dailess is also a convicted felon, Hoyal said, meaning that if a firearm is found inside the house after investigators execute a search warrant, he could face additional charges.
Alcohol was believed to be a factor in the domestic assault, Hoyal said.
- Rocky Mountain Power: Thousands on Wasatch...
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- Where does Salt Lake City rank among the...
- 41 inmates in Davis County Jail earn high...
- 'Regimented' UTA employee remembered as...
- Office of Economic Development names...
- Parents look for answers after daughter was...
- LDS Church condemns sexual assault as... 59
- Utah man held 1,164 days in jail... 36
- Former Utah Gov. Mike Leavitt advising... 20
- 'Dirty soda' lawsuit calls shop's... 20
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 17
- Sutherland Institute looks to broaden... 15
- Gov. Herbert: Bears Ears resolution... 11
- Utah defends busting theater for... 11