Man arrested following 6-hour standoff in Taylorsville
TAYLORSVILLE — A SWAT team used tear gas to end a six-hour standoff early Friday with a man wanted for investigation of domestic violence.
The incident began just before midnight at 3639 W. 5180 South when a man and his wife got into a heated argument, resulting in the man pushing his wife down a flight of stairs, said Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal.
The woman, who suffered minor injuries, ran to a neighbor's house. The husband followed and again threatened the wife and the neighbor. The husband went back to his house when police were called and refused to come out when they came to his door, Hoyal said.
From about midnight until 2:30 a.m. Friday, officers attempted to convince the man to come out. When they learned that he may have firearms inside, a SWAT team was called to surround the house. Neighbors were evacuated to a nearby church.
At 6 a.m., the SWAT team ended the standoff by launching tear gas into the house. The man came out immediately and was arrested.
Aaron Dailess, 34, was arrested for investigation of aggravated domestic assault and resisting arrest. Dailess is also a convicted felon, Hoyal said, meaning that if a firearm is found inside the house after investigators execute a search warrant, he could face additional charges.
Alcohol was believed to be a factor in the domestic assault, Hoyal said.
- Missing oilfield worker's body found near Vernal
- Was pregnancy rumor a factor in killing of...
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Two men charged with vandalizing LDS church...
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- We were there: See Deseret News front pages...
- Friend says wrong-way driver 'wasn't in his...
- Researchers: Patients have only themselves to...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 81
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 59
- Federal government extends same-sex... 37
- Autopsy shows man posed no threat to... 24
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- Police arrest 3 suspected of... 15
- Risque video shoots trigger... 14
- Housing recovery slowest since World... 12