Man arrested following 6-hour standoff in Taylorsville
TAYLORSVILLE — A SWAT team used tear gas to end a six-hour standoff early Friday with a man wanted for investigation of domestic violence.
The incident began just before midnight at 3639 W. 5180 South when a man and his wife got into a heated argument, resulting in the man pushing his wife down a flight of stairs, said Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal.
The woman, who suffered minor injuries, ran to a neighbor's house. The husband followed and again threatened the wife and the neighbor. The husband went back to his house when police were called and refused to come out when they came to his door, Hoyal said.
From about midnight until 2:30 a.m. Friday, officers attempted to convince the man to come out. When they learned that he may have firearms inside, a SWAT team was called to surround the house. Neighbors were evacuated to a nearby church.
At 6 a.m., the SWAT team ended the standoff by launching tear gas into the house. The man came out immediately and was arrested.
Aaron Dailess, 34, was arrested for investigation of aggravated domestic assault and resisting arrest. Dailess is also a convicted felon, Hoyal said, meaning that if a firearm is found inside the house after investigators execute a search warrant, he could face additional charges.
Alcohol was believed to be a factor in the domestic assault, Hoyal said.
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking...
- Police probing what caused deaths of...
- Police stumped about what caused Springville...
- About Utah: Baltic Avenue just bought Boardwalk!
- Granite School District reaches agreement...
- Body of overdue hiker found in Zion National...
- Tourists rescued after road collapses,...
- Man dies after being shot in the head at Salt...
- Students rally for beard 'revolution'... 77
- Utah gay marriage case first in line at... 57
- Mia Love declines to make joint... 50
- Join the discussion: How libertarian is... 36
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 33
- Coast-to-coast horseback ride against... 30
- 2 Utah companies respond to FDA warning... 18
- Utah to appeal polygamy ruling in... 13