Rock slides close popular trail at Dinosaur National Monument
DINOSAUR, Colo. — The National Park Service has closed a popular trail and surrounding lands inside Dinosaur National Monument because of "an active rock slide."
The closure affects the Jones Hole Trail, an adjacent section of Jones Hole Creek, and surrounding National Park Service land from the boundary of the Jones Hole National Fish Hatchery to Ely Creek, monument superintendent Mary Risser said Thursday.
The first rock slide occurred Tuesday, when a slab broke free from a cliff face about a quarter mile from the hatchery, which is on the Utah side of the monument.
"One fisherman reported having to run from a boulder that landed in the stream not too far from his location," Risser said. "After receiving reports, park rangers checked the scene and did not see any further activity."
But there were two more slides Thursday — a small one in the morning, and a massive one early in the afternoon.
"The slide was large enough to send boulders across Jones Hole Creek and the trail," Risser said. "Numerous trees were also reported to be knocked down and currently blocking the trail."
Monument staff is still assessing the extent of the damage caused by the multiple slides, the superintendent said. Rangers will issue citations to anyone who violates the closure order.
The 4 ¼-mile Jones Hole Trail connects the hatchery with the Green River. It is popular with anglers due to its access to Jones Hole Creek, Risser said.
- Searchers locate missing family of Olympian...
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley detective...
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via online...
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention...
- Fatal Draper house fire was intentionally...
- Mitt Romney talks pioneers, family tradition...
- Healing souls, healing a mountain
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows 'deep...
- Federal land managers criticized over... 25
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 21
- Habitual offender arrested in alleged... 16
- Student attitudes changing on healthy... 14
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 13
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake... 12
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via... 12
- Satellites track drought-driven... 9