Stephen Colbert opened Wednesday night's "Colbert Report" with an emotional tribute to his 92-year-old mother, Lorna Colbert, who died last week.
Colbert, who had returned after a weeklong hiatus, described his mother as a cheerful woman who loved her children and faith despite tasting many tragedies such as the loss of her brother, husband and three sons.
"She made a very loving home for us," he said. "No fight between siblings could end without hugs and kisses, though hugs never needed a reason in her house."
The host shared a short biography of his mother, including some of his favorite moments with her.
"I know it may sound greedy to want more days with someone who had lived so long," Colbert said. "But the fact that my mother was 92 does not diminish, it only magnifies, the enormity of the room whose door has now quietly shut."
Watch the full tribute below.
Katie Harmer is a journalism graduate of Brigham Young University and writes for Mormon Times. Email: email@example.com Twitter: @harmerk
- 60 things you might not know about your...
- 10 celebrity couples who have made marriage work
- Face time vs. screen time: The technological...
- BYU announces Mitt Romney, Disney...
- 10 things to know before going to Salt Lake...
- 13 ways Disney could use drones at its parks
- Parenting advice that changed my life
- Road Home to use Midvale shelter one more...
- It's about time the government... 12
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Social problems... 7
- Jim Bennett: The ALS Ice Bucket... 7
- Parents respond to Nicki Minaj's 'vile'... 7
- Erin Stewart: Parents: Stop pushing... 6
- In the Whirled: World peace and the... 5
- The Clean Cut: CBS News features boy... 5
- Parenting advice that changed my life 4