Stephen Colbert opened Wednesday night's "Colbert Report" with an emotional tribute to his 92-year-old mother, Lorna Colbert, who died last week.
Colbert, who had returned after a weeklong hiatus, described his mother as a cheerful woman who loved her children and faith despite tasting many tragedies such as the loss of her brother, husband and three sons.
"She made a very loving home for us," he said. "No fight between siblings could end without hugs and kisses, though hugs never needed a reason in her house."
The host shared a short biography of his mother, including some of his favorite moments with her.
"I know it may sound greedy to want more days with someone who had lived so long," Colbert said. "But the fact that my mother was 92 does not diminish, it only magnifies, the enormity of the room whose door has now quietly shut."
Watch the full tribute below.
Katie Harmer is a journalism graduate of Brigham Young University and writes for Mormon Times. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: @harmerk
- 3 Utah mothers to compete in U.S. Olympic...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: The romance of restraint
- Stress, chocolate and loneliness: How...
- Sherry Young: Can we go from snow sliding...
- Valentine's Day is the day to see loved ones...
- Free marriage check-up clinic offered at...
- Erin Stewart: To my husband on Valentine's Day
- The Clean Cut: Kelly Clarkson announces...
- If Splenda gives Swiss rats cancer,... 6
- Valentine's Day is the day to see loved... 2
- Doris Kearns Goodwin: 'Tell and retell... 1
- Erin Stewart: To my husband on... 1
- Sherry Young: Can we go from snow... 1
- The heart of the matter: What your... 0
- Motherhood Matters: How to manage... 0
- The Clean Cut: New trailer for... 0