Stephen Colbert opened Wednesday night's "Colbert Report" with an emotional tribute to his 92-year-old mother, Lorna Colbert, who died last week.
Colbert, who had returned after a weeklong hiatus, described his mother as a cheerful woman who loved her children and faith despite tasting many tragedies such as the loss of her brother, husband and three sons.
"She made a very loving home for us," he said. "No fight between siblings could end without hugs and kisses, though hugs never needed a reason in her house."
The host shared a short biography of his mother, including some of his favorite moments with her.
"I know it may sound greedy to want more days with someone who had lived so long," Colbert said. "But the fact that my mother was 92 does not diminish, it only magnifies, the enormity of the room whose door has now quietly shut."
Watch the full tribute below.
Katie Harmer is a journalism graduate of Brigham Young University and writes for Mormon Times. Email: email@example.com Twitter: @harmerk
- 33 things I want my sons to know
- 'Duck Dynasty' dad approves of daughter's...
- Things that changed my view of marriage forever
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: If we lose marriage,...
- If Pinterest makes you feel like a failure as...
- 3 South Jordan siblings battling rare disease...
- Stuart Edge, Alex Boye, other Utah artists...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: If we lose... 36
- Experts debate whether marriage is... 30
- The changing definition of 'TV': What... 16
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 9
- Jon Heder becomes Napoleon Dynamite... 9
- Mom battling cancer determined to live... 7
- 'Duck Dynasty' dad approves of... 6
- Woman's happiness most important to... 5