Stephen Colbert opened Wednesday night's "Colbert Report" with an emotional tribute to his 92-year-old mother, Lorna Colbert, who died last week.
Colbert, who had returned after a weeklong hiatus, described his mother as a cheerful woman who loved her children and faith despite tasting many tragedies such as the loss of her brother, husband and three sons.
"She made a very loving home for us," he said. "No fight between siblings could end without hugs and kisses, though hugs never needed a reason in her house."
The host shared a short biography of his mother, including some of his favorite moments with her.
"I know it may sound greedy to want more days with someone who had lived so long," Colbert said. "But the fact that my mother was 92 does not diminish, it only magnifies, the enormity of the room whose door has now quietly shut."
Watch the full tribute below.
Katie Harmer is a journalism graduate of Brigham Young University and writes for Mormon Times. Email: email@example.com Twitter: @harmerk
- Erin Stewart: Should you teach your kids to...
- After 8 years with no 'true increase' in...
- First-timers and veterans among thousands to...
- Twila Van Leer: Wow! I'm part of history, too
- Wright Words: What I learned on a trail near...
- Motherhood Matters: 3 keys to a great family...
- Is this TV show a 'game changer for people...
- 4 tips for planning a successful family hike
- Erin Stewart: Should you teach your... 22
- Amy Iverson: Showing kids how to make... 6
- Wright Words: What I learned on a trail... 4
- After 8 years with no 'true increase'... 3
- First-timers and veterans among... 2
- The Clean Cut: 91-year-old widow... 2
- Tiffany Gee Lewis: Lessons from sending... 2
- Twila Van Leer: Wow! I'm part of... 1