Stephen Colbert opened Wednesday night's "Colbert Report" with an emotional tribute to his 92-year-old mother, Lorna Colbert, who died last week.
Colbert, who had returned after a weeklong hiatus, described his mother as a cheerful woman who loved her children and faith despite tasting many tragedies such as the loss of her brother, husband and three sons.
"She made a very loving home for us," he said. "No fight between siblings could end without hugs and kisses, though hugs never needed a reason in her house."
The host shared a short biography of his mother, including some of his favorite moments with her.
"I know it may sound greedy to want more days with someone who had lived so long," Colbert said. "But the fact that my mother was 92 does not diminish, it only magnifies, the enormity of the room whose door has now quietly shut."
Watch the full tribute below.
Katie Harmer is a journalism graduate of Brigham Young University and writes for Mormon Times. Email: email@example.com Twitter: @harmerk
- Power of Moms: The 21-day motherhood challenge
- A simple way to know that you're with the...
- Renovation Solutions: 5 signs it is time to...
- How one woman unplugged from technology for...
- Does an American child really go missing...
- The one joke we make about love may actually...
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy immune system
- The Clean Cut: Lucasfilm responds to...
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy... 49
- Erin Stewart: Are trampolines too... 18
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: A different view... 7
- How one woman unplugged from technology... 6
- Does an American child really go... 3
- The Clean Cut: Lucasfilm responds to... 3
- 1 out of 7 Americans has this kind of... 2
- The one joke we make about love may... 2