Stephen Colbert opened Wednesday night's "Colbert Report" with an emotional tribute to his 92-year-old mother, Lorna Colbert, who died last week.
Colbert, who had returned after a weeklong hiatus, described his mother as a cheerful woman who loved her children and faith despite tasting many tragedies such as the loss of her brother, husband and three sons.
"She made a very loving home for us," he said. "No fight between siblings could end without hugs and kisses, though hugs never needed a reason in her house."
The host shared a short biography of his mother, including some of his favorite moments with her.
"I know it may sound greedy to want more days with someone who had lived so long," Colbert said. "But the fact that my mother was 92 does not diminish, it only magnifies, the enormity of the room whose door has now quietly shut."
Watch the full tribute below.
Katie Harmer is a journalism graduate of Brigham Young University and writes for Mormon Times. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: @harmerk
- Mormons popping up all over TV these days
- 5 PG movies that aren't exactly kid friendly
- Katie Couric interviews Mormon mom from Cute...
- 10 reasons a traditional marriage is better...
- 6-year-old 'Rapunzel' donates hair to...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Utah’s...
- The Clean Cut: This ATM gives people much...
- The Clean Cut: 3-year-old drumming prodigy...
- Two powerful forces make American... 27
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 19
- 10 reasons a traditional marriage is... 19
- 5 PG movies that aren't exactly kid... 15
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Utah’s... 14
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention... 8
- Many adults delay parenthood for these... 5
- Bills aim to bring marriage, family law... 4