Stephen Colbert opened Wednesday night's "Colbert Report" with an emotional tribute to his 92-year-old mother, Lorna Colbert, who died last week.
Colbert, who had returned after a weeklong hiatus, described his mother as a cheerful woman who loved her children and faith despite tasting many tragedies such as the loss of her brother, husband and three sons.
"She made a very loving home for us," he said. "No fight between siblings could end without hugs and kisses, though hugs never needed a reason in her house."
The host shared a short biography of his mother, including some of his favorite moments with her.
"I know it may sound greedy to want more days with someone who had lived so long," Colbert said. "But the fact that my mother was 92 does not diminish, it only magnifies, the enormity of the room whose door has now quietly shut."
Watch the full tribute below.
Katie Harmer is a journalism graduate of Brigham Young University and writes for Mormon Times. Email: email@example.com Twitter: @harmerk
- BYU student parlays app idea into a life-changer
- 2015 summer festivals and celebrations around...
- Motherhood Matters: 6 ways to help your shy...
- Studies show different roles of mothers...
- It's 'trauma season' in Utah for children
- U.S. marriage rate hits new low and may...
- Erin Stewart: Are your possessions stealing...
- Family stress and poverty affect... 11
- BYU student parlays app idea into a... 10
- Why exposing your children to another... 5
- Disney's 'Tomorrowland' is a... 5
- How strict should parents really be? 5
- 100 deadly days of summer: What you... 4
- About Utah: Reliving their great escape... 4
- Great-grandfather receives honorary... 3