Photo courtesy of Girlguiding
Girlguiding, a girl scouts group, is the U.K.’s leading charity for girls ages 5-26 that began in 1909. Its new promise replaced the line “to love God,” with “to be true to myself and develop my beliefs.” It also changed the line, “to serve the Queen and my country” with “to serve the Queen and my community.”
Some in the U.K. welcome the changes to the promise.
“The removal of the word 'country' is entirely fitting. The Girl Guides are not a patriotic club,” said Ian Dunt, editor of politics.co.uk in his article, “The new Girl Guide Promise is wonderfully British.” “[And] they replaced God with something lovely. Usually, the stripping away of religion leaves something drab and official in its place. I've always felt that way at registry weddings, which seem short and harshly unceremonial. But here, it was replaced by the promise to ‘be true to myself and develop my beliefs.’”
Others are not pleased with God being replaced with the phrase “to be true to myself.”
In an interview with Premier Christian Radio, former member of Parliament Ann Widdecombe said it was an “appalling decision” that reflected the “me society.”
Girlguiding made the change to welcome “all girls and women, and to create a space where those of all faiths and none can find a home,” according to the Girlguiding news release about the change.
The change to the promise will take effect Sept. 1.
- LDS Church clarifies position on...
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- LDS Church to create new missions in Utah and...
- Pope in blistering critique of Vatican...
- 19 inspiring Christmas quotes from President...
- The Clean Cut: Lexi Walker sings Christmas...
- 'Unbroken' faith: The religious journey of...
- LDS World: Jesus Christ is the solution
- LDS Church clarifies position on... 54
- How would LDS be affected by renewed... 27
- Christmas without Jesus 20
- LDS Church to create new missions in... 20
- Forget Santa Claus, Virginia. Was there... 19
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary... 13
- LDS World: Jesus Christ is the solution 9
- 'Unbroken' faith: The religious journey... 8