Photo courtesy of Girlguiding
Girlguiding, a girl scouts group, is the U.K.’s leading charity for girls ages 5-26 that began in 1909. Its new promise replaced the line “to love God,” with “to be true to myself and develop my beliefs.” It also changed the line, “to serve the Queen and my country” with “to serve the Queen and my community.”
Some in the U.K. welcome the changes to the promise.
“The removal of the word 'country' is entirely fitting. The Girl Guides are not a patriotic club,” said Ian Dunt, editor of politics.co.uk in his article, “The new Girl Guide Promise is wonderfully British.” “[And] they replaced God with something lovely. Usually, the stripping away of religion leaves something drab and official in its place. I've always felt that way at registry weddings, which seem short and harshly unceremonial. But here, it was replaced by the promise to ‘be true to myself and develop my beliefs.’”
Others are not pleased with God being replaced with the phrase “to be true to myself.”
In an interview with Premier Christian Radio, former member of Parliament Ann Widdecombe said it was an “appalling decision” that reflected the “me society.”
Girlguiding made the change to welcome “all girls and women, and to create a space where those of all faiths and none can find a home,” according to the Girlguiding news release about the change.
The change to the promise will take effect Sept. 1.
- The Book of Mormon claims No. 1 spot on list...
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration
- Zeroing in on religious hubs, atheists to...
- How much did President Obama donate to his...
- Wright Words: Despite horrific fire, Mormon...
- LDS convert and influential friend reunite...
- Elizabeth Smart talks forgiveness and...
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration 98
- Obama: Religious intolerance has... 76
- Ask Angela: With so few choices, should... 75
- Zeroing in on religious hubs, atheists... 59
- In our opinion: The Ten Commandments in... 52
- How much did President Obama donate to... 34
- LDS Church releases YouTube video as... 23
- Passover, a holiday for all, starts... 22