Photo courtesy of Girlguiding
Girlguiding, a girl scouts group, is the U.K.’s leading charity for girls ages 5-26 that began in 1909. Its new promise replaced the line “to love God,” with “to be true to myself and develop my beliefs.” It also changed the line, “to serve the Queen and my country” with “to serve the Queen and my community.”
Some in the U.K. welcome the changes to the promise.
“The removal of the word 'country' is entirely fitting. The Girl Guides are not a patriotic club,” said Ian Dunt, editor of politics.co.uk in his article, “The new Girl Guide Promise is wonderfully British.” “[And] they replaced God with something lovely. Usually, the stripping away of religion leaves something drab and official in its place. I've always felt that way at registry weddings, which seem short and harshly unceremonial. But here, it was replaced by the promise to ‘be true to myself and develop my beliefs.’”
Others are not pleased with God being replaced with the phrase “to be true to myself.”
In an interview with Premier Christian Radio, former member of Parliament Ann Widdecombe said it was an “appalling decision” that reflected the “me society.”
Girlguiding made the change to welcome “all girls and women, and to create a space where those of all faiths and none can find a home,” according to the Girlguiding news release about the change.
The change to the promise will take effect Sept. 1.
- Defending the Faith: Columbus among the Nephites
- Two apostles visit Northern South America,...
- No more excuses: Mormon dad designs home...
- New DVD tells story of David Archuleta's...
- Young performing LDS missionary shares...
- Mormon neighbors help Catholic nuns with...
- New Mormon Message video highlights how much...
- How to get 'Meet the Mormons' in theaters...
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with... 49
- Defending the Faith: Columbus among the... 41
- New DVD tells story of David... 12
- New Harmony: Viewing the penmanship of... 9
- New Utah rabbi hopes to 'perfect the... 6
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies... 5
- 5 unusual places of worship 5
- 10 religious leaders you may not know... 5