Photo courtesy of Girlguiding
Girlguiding, a girl scouts group, is the U.K.’s leading charity for girls ages 5-26 that began in 1909. Its new promise replaced the line “to love God,” with “to be true to myself and develop my beliefs.” It also changed the line, “to serve the Queen and my country” with “to serve the Queen and my community.”
Some in the U.K. welcome the changes to the promise.
“The removal of the word 'country' is entirely fitting. The Girl Guides are not a patriotic club,” said Ian Dunt, editor of politics.co.uk in his article, “The new Girl Guide Promise is wonderfully British.” “[And] they replaced God with something lovely. Usually, the stripping away of religion leaves something drab and official in its place. I've always felt that way at registry weddings, which seem short and harshly unceremonial. But here, it was replaced by the promise to ‘be true to myself and develop my beliefs.’”
Others are not pleased with God being replaced with the phrase “to be true to myself.”
In an interview with Premier Christian Radio, former member of Parliament Ann Widdecombe said it was an “appalling decision” that reflected the “me society.”
Girlguiding made the change to welcome “all girls and women, and to create a space where those of all faiths and none can find a home,” according to the Girlguiding news release about the change.
The change to the promise will take effect Sept. 1.
- Changing fields: Returned missionary college...
- LDS Church publishes two new essays on past...
- LDS Church releases video about suicide...
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy don't...
- Defending the Faith: Some things are more...
- Sheri Dew and Noelle Pikus-Pace arm wrestle...
- Utah family adopts 2 newborns 6 weeks apart
- LDS pitcher Matthew Neil asked for a trial...
- Two Christian ministers refuse to... 114
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy... 114
- LDS Church publishes two new essays on... 51
- LDS Church releases video, topic page... 36
- Defending the Faith: Some things are... 28
- California orders churches, others to... 21
- Here's how you can learn more about God 13
- Utah family adopts 2 newborns 6 weeks... 10