SALT LAKE CITY — Police are asking for the public's help in locating a man wanted on charges of rape of a child.
Chervon Jason Laptiste, 40, was charged June 12 in 3rd District Court with three counts of rape of a child, three counts of sodomy on a child, and three counts of aggravated sexual abuse of a child, all first-degree felonies. He was also charged with dealing in harmful materials to a minor and witness tampering, both third-degree felonies.
The alleged victim told police that from the time she was 12 to 13 years old, Laptiste would make her watch pornographic videos and then "had sex with her in the same manner as the pornographic videos," according to charging documents.
Laptiste also threatened the girl that if she told anyone, "she would be taken away from her mother," the charges state.
The girl is now 15. Laptiste was last seen in the Salt Lake area.
Laptiste has a long criminal history in Utah, including a 2004 conviction on an amended charge of attempted retaliation against a witness. He is about 6 feet 2 inches tall and weighs 260 pounds.
Anyone with information on Laptiste can call police at 801-799-3000 or text "TIPSLCPD" to 274637.
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- Tanker crash sends oil into Provo River as...
- Olene Walker, "one of Utah's finest public...
- Icy roads blamed for Cedar City car crash...
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving preparing...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- Students hope to invent windows of the future
- Troopers identify Colorado man as victim of...
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he... 36
- Olene Walker, "one of Utah's finest... 15
- Man steals woman's boarding pass,... 13
- The new Thanksgiving tradition: A quick... 11
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving... 10
- Utah liquor consumption is up, but... 8
- Men and women: Understanding the wage... 7
- Recruiting crisis? UHP, other agencies... 6