SALT LAKE CITY — Police are asking for the public's help in locating a man wanted on charges of rape of a child.
Chervon Jason Laptiste, 40, was charged June 12 in 3rd District Court with three counts of rape of a child, three counts of sodomy on a child, and three counts of aggravated sexual abuse of a child, all first-degree felonies. He was also charged with dealing in harmful materials to a minor and witness tampering, both third-degree felonies.
The alleged victim told police that from the time she was 12 to 13 years old, Laptiste would make her watch pornographic videos and then "had sex with her in the same manner as the pornographic videos," according to charging documents.
Laptiste also threatened the girl that if she told anyone, "she would be taken away from her mother," the charges state.
The girl is now 15. Laptiste was last seen in the Salt Lake area.
Laptiste has a long criminal history in Utah, including a 2004 conviction on an amended charge of attempted retaliation against a witness. He is about 6 feet 2 inches tall and weighs 260 pounds.
Anyone with information on Laptiste can call police at 801-799-3000 or text "TIPSLCPD" to 274637.
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings University of...
- Rep. Justin Miller pleads guilty to...
- West Jordan councilwoman accuses mayor of...
- State responds to Planned Parenthood claims
- Photo gallery: Night skies over national parks
- Ann Romney on likability, Hillary Clinton, MS...
- Pres. Nelson honored by the University of Utah
- Rep. Jason Chaffetz says he wouldn't run...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with... 69
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes... 47
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason... 42
- Scholars disagree whether compromise... 41
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 29
- State responds to Planned Parenthood... 28
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings... 27
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be... 20