Utah Jazz: Jerry Sloan talks about decision to accept advisory role with the Jazz
Tom Smart, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Discussing his new role as a senior basketball advisor for the Utah Jazz, Jerry Sloan spoke extensively in public Thursday for the first time since quitting as the Jazz's head coach in February 2011.
At a press conference at the Zions Bank Basketball Center, the 71-year-old Sloan said he still isn’t sure exactly what his role will be with the team, but said he definitely will not be coaching. He said he'll leave that to current coach Tyrone Corbin and his assistants.
According to the Jazz, Sloan’s role will be to support the Jazz through player evaluations in workouts, camps and summer league games, along with “occasional practice observation.’’
“To have him working with us is a tremendous thing,’’ said Corbin. “I will lean on him in a lot of ways.’’
Sloan said he doesn’t want to get in Corbin’s way and that he is “doing a terrific job” as the Jazz's coach. Several times during the press conference, Sloan stressed that Jazz fans must have “patience” with the young players and pointed out that Karl Malone and John Stockton were in their mid-30s when the Jazz competed for championships in the late 1990s.
Sloan said he missed being away from basketball from the day he quit, but also said, “I don’t regret anything’’ about leaving when he did. In fact he said leaving when he did "enhanced" the progress of the team and that "Deron Williams was going to leave anyway.''
“It was good for me to get away from basketball and nice to have some time off,’’ Sloan said.
When asked if he would attend Jazz practices, Sloan joked, "If they have them too early I won't.''
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart from...
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with...
- BYU Cougars happy to have Saturday afternoon...
- Friday night lights central, week 5: Scores,...
- High school football: Felt's Facts for Week...
- BYU football: 5 questions with a Virginia...
- BYU defense, offense being noticed for...
- Parry's Power Guide for week 5
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 105
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 78
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 70
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 61
- Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback Taysom... 54
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 50
- If BYU and Utah played on the gridiron... 49
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 44