LOA, Wayne County — A man and a woman from Tucson, Ariz., were killed Thursday after the motorcycle they were riding was hit by a Jeep that had crossed over into oncoming traffic on state Route 24.
Bill Mitchell, 64, was driving a Victory motorcycle with passenger Diane Mitchell, 64, when a Jeep Wrangler crossed the center line from the eastbound lanes into the westbound lanes, the Utah Highway Patrol reported.
The Jeep drove over the top of the motorcycle, rupturing the bike's fuel tank and causing both vehicles to burst into flames, according to the UHP.
Police said the Mitchells were riding with three other motorcycles prior to the crash. Two motorcycles steered away from the Jeep, but one other motorcycle, a Harley-Davidson, was hit prior to the Mitchells' motorcycle and was pushed backward off the westbound shoulder.
The driver of the Harley-Davidson, Michael Gelernter, 49, of Tucson, Ariz., was injured in the collision and taken to Sevier Valley Medical Center with injuries that were not life-threatening, said UHP Cpl. Todd Johnson.
After the Jeep collided with the Mitchells' motorcycle and burst into flames, it continued east and overturned, coming to a rest on its top, the UHP said.
The driver of the Jeep, 17-year-old Tanner Giles, of Loa, was not wearing his seat belt and was ejected from his vehicle. He was transported to Sevier Valley Medical Center with injuries that were not life-threatening, Johnson said.
The accident remains under investigation.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- 7 habits of mentally strong people
- West Valley man killed in motorcycle crash...
- Applications being taken for justice court...
- UDOT resurfacing 12300 South in Draper
- Mount Timpanogos trail temporarily closing...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 75
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 32
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 20
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 16
- Can police-community relations be... 14