LOA, Wayne County — A man and a woman from Tucson, Ariz., were killed Thursday after the motorcycle they were riding was hit by a Jeep that had crossed over into oncoming traffic on state Route 24.
Bill Mitchell, 64, was driving a Victory motorcycle with passenger Diane Mitchell, 64, when a Jeep Wrangler crossed the center line from the eastbound lanes into the westbound lanes, the Utah Highway Patrol reported.
The Jeep drove over the top of the motorcycle, rupturing the bike's fuel tank and causing both vehicles to burst into flames, according to the UHP.
Police said the Mitchells were riding with three other motorcycles prior to the crash. Two motorcycles steered away from the Jeep, but one other motorcycle, a Harley-Davidson, was hit prior to the Mitchells' motorcycle and was pushed backward off the westbound shoulder.
The driver of the Harley-Davidson, Michael Gelernter, 49, of Tucson, Ariz., was injured in the collision and taken to Sevier Valley Medical Center with injuries that were not life-threatening, said UHP Cpl. Todd Johnson.
After the Jeep collided with the Mitchells' motorcycle and burst into flames, it continued east and overturned, coming to a rest on its top, the UHP said.
The driver of the Jeep, 17-year-old Tanner Giles, of Loa, was not wearing his seat belt and was ejected from his vehicle. He was transported to Sevier Valley Medical Center with injuries that were not life-threatening, Johnson said.
The accident remains under investigation.
- Sculptor hopes new statue brings comfort to...
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex harassment...
- Torn between two countries, family of missing...
- Conservative group yanks TV ads targeting...
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global audience,...
- 'Princess' power: BYU to present stage...
- Teen dies in suspected overdose in Farmington
- Photos: Thrill seekers take on stunt-filled 5K
- First prison relocation open house... 39
- Congressional delegation not impressing... 32
- Prosecutors file new charge against... 20
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex... 20
- Utah lawmakers begin task to... 15
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on... 15
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global... 14
- Police: Toddler accidentally shot in... 13