LOA, Wayne County — A man and a woman from Tucson, Ariz., were killed Thursday after the motorcycle they were riding was hit by a Jeep that had crossed over into oncoming traffic on state Route 24.
Bill Mitchell, 64, was driving a Victory motorcycle with passenger Diane Mitchell, 64, when a Jeep Wrangler crossed the center line from the eastbound lanes into the westbound lanes, the Utah Highway Patrol reported.
The Jeep drove over the top of the motorcycle, rupturing the bike's fuel tank and causing both vehicles to burst into flames, according to the UHP.
Police said the Mitchells were riding with three other motorcycles prior to the crash. Two motorcycles steered away from the Jeep, but one other motorcycle, a Harley-Davidson, was hit prior to the Mitchells' motorcycle and was pushed backward off the westbound shoulder.
The driver of the Harley-Davidson, Michael Gelernter, 49, of Tucson, Ariz., was injured in the collision and taken to Sevier Valley Medical Center with injuries that were not life-threatening, said UHP Cpl. Todd Johnson.
After the Jeep collided with the Mitchells' motorcycle and burst into flames, it continued east and overturned, coming to a rest on its top, the UHP said.
The driver of the Jeep, 17-year-old Tanner Giles, of Loa, was not wearing his seat belt and was ejected from his vehicle. He was transported to Sevier Valley Medical Center with injuries that were not life-threatening, Johnson said.
The accident remains under investigation.
- Cheerleading coach who worked as youth...
- Fire rips through Draper garage during...
- Osmond to run 250 miles to help kids get...
- Former Gov. Norm Bangerter remembered as man...
- Mystery man who rescued driver from cliff in...
- Pornography conference probes perils, solutions
- Three Salt Lake City golf courses slated for...
- Orem pediatrician 'happy' to help...
- End of an era: Mercury rule shutters... 57
- Poll: Strong approval ratings for Gov.... 27
- Sen. Hatch's 'I-Squared' bill could... 26
- BYU ranked 'best value college' in Utah 26
- Herbert to meet with Obama... 23
- April snow shocks Utahns but does... 20
- Wild, windy, wet weather wallops... 17
- Rep. Jason Chaffetz: Drug Enforcement... 15