LOA, Wayne County — A man and a woman from Tucson, Ariz., were killed Thursday after the motorcycle they were riding was hit by a Jeep that had crossed over into oncoming traffic on state Route 24.
Bill Mitchell, 64, was driving a Victory motorcycle with passenger Diane Mitchell, 64, when a Jeep Wrangler crossed the center line from the eastbound lanes into the westbound lanes, the Utah Highway Patrol reported.
The Jeep drove over the top of the motorcycle, rupturing the bike's fuel tank and causing both vehicles to burst into flames, according to the UHP.
Police said the Mitchells were riding with three other motorcycles prior to the crash. Two motorcycles steered away from the Jeep, but one other motorcycle, a Harley-Davidson, was hit prior to the Mitchells' motorcycle and was pushed backward off the westbound shoulder.
The driver of the Harley-Davidson, Michael Gelernter, 49, of Tucson, Ariz., was injured in the collision and taken to Sevier Valley Medical Center with injuries that were not life-threatening, said UHP Cpl. Todd Johnson.
After the Jeep collided with the Mitchells' motorcycle and burst into flames, it continued east and overturned, coming to a rest on its top, the UHP said.
The driver of the Jeep, 17-year-old Tanner Giles, of Loa, was not wearing his seat belt and was ejected from his vehicle. He was transported to Sevier Valley Medical Center with injuries that were not life-threatening, Johnson said.
The accident remains under investigation.
- Community rallies for Kamas family after...
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout Utah
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- West Nile activity discovered in four Utah...
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- Ogden police shoot dog that was allegedly...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising concerns...
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 44
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 21
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 18
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- Union Pacific train makes special... 14
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed... 13
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake... 13
- Unaccompanied children from Central... 12