LOA, Wayne County — A man and a woman from Tucson, Ariz., were killed Thursday after the motorcycle they were riding was hit by a Jeep that had crossed over into oncoming traffic on state Route 24.
Bill Mitchell, 64, was driving a Victory motorcycle with passenger Diane Mitchell, 64, when a Jeep Wrangler crossed the center line from the eastbound lanes into the westbound lanes, the Utah Highway Patrol reported.
The Jeep drove over the top of the motorcycle, rupturing the bike's fuel tank and causing both vehicles to burst into flames, according to the UHP.
Police said the Mitchells were riding with three other motorcycles prior to the crash. Two motorcycles steered away from the Jeep, but one other motorcycle, a Harley-Davidson, was hit prior to the Mitchells' motorcycle and was pushed backward off the westbound shoulder.
The driver of the Harley-Davidson, Michael Gelernter, 49, of Tucson, Ariz., was injured in the collision and taken to Sevier Valley Medical Center with injuries that were not life-threatening, said UHP Cpl. Todd Johnson.
After the Jeep collided with the Mitchells' motorcycle and burst into flames, it continued east and overturned, coming to a rest on its top, the UHP said.
The driver of the Jeep, 17-year-old Tanner Giles, of Loa, was not wearing his seat belt and was ejected from his vehicle. He was transported to Sevier Valley Medical Center with injuries that were not life-threatening, Johnson said.
The accident remains under investigation.
- 'Somebody knows what happened,' daughter...
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please return...
- Utah came first for Rep. Jim Matheson, but...
- A beleaguered family — 12 in 4...
- Rally in support of police also draws counter...
- Fire at Little America Hotel forces overnight...
- Bringing joy through simple acts of kindness
- Gary (and Rose) Neeleman: Q and A with a...
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an... 132
- Rally in support of police also draws... 42
- Poll: Nearly two-thirds of Utahns... 29
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please... 23
- Police: Gunman said he shot at trooper... 13
- Judge issues summons for 'Super Dell' 9
- Chugging eggnog at office party lands... 8
- Christmas tradition: Judge visits jail... 7