Ravell Call, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — University of Utah officials have changed course on a proposed policy that would have banned recreational skateboarding and bicycling on campus.
On Monday, the school's Executive Committee approved a new proposal that would beef up enforcement of current campus safety policies and promote efforts to educate skateboarders and bicyclists on cautious riding.
"The intent is to enforce the rules of safety and make sure folks are abiding by them and education at the same time, more than we have in the past," campus spokesman Keith Sterling said.
The new policy will be reviewed by the university's Academic Senate prior to final approval, Sterling said.
Last month, preliminary approval was given to a proposal to limit permitted use of bikes, skateboards and scooters to transportation to and from campus-related activities by students and staff. According to Sterling, the ban on recreational riding was written in response to several incidents in which members of the campus community were involved in collisions with reckless cyclists and skateboarders.
That led to questions about how appropriate use of bikes and skateboards would be distinguished from inappropriate use, and whether the policy would bar otherwise rule-abiding members of the community from recreational riding on campus.
"We’re not going to distinguish between recreational riding and folks who are riding to go to work or folks who are on campus as students," Sterling said. "We want to make sure that everyone who rides a skateboard knows they need to yield to pedestrians."
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: bjaminwood
- U. student government passes resolution to...
- Report: Colleagues wondered if A.G. Mark...
- Fundraiser established for 2-year-old who was...
- Powell family fires back at recent court...
- Salt Lake Comic Con FanX draws 100,000 attendees
- Vegas’ water drying up
- Man killed in court had tried to prevent...
- Windstorm topples trees, trucks, power poles...
- U. student government passes resolution... 95
- Utah's new adaptive testing system... 59
- Utah among states with greatest urban... 46
- Gang member shot, killed after lunging... 27
- 2-year-old boy dies from accidental... 25
- Doug Robinson: Horrific crimes show the... 23
- GOP resolution calls for partisan... 20
- Report: Colleagues wondered if A.G.... 20