Utah Jazz hire Jerry Sloan in a senior basketball adviser role
Added Rigby: "To have Jerry Sloan available for Coach Corbin, for Dennis and Kevin ... to help (them) continue to make right decisions and to help build a championship caliber team is extremely valuable."
Rigby said "respectful conversations" with Sloan have been ongoing for quite some time. It was made clear that the organization's old coach didn't want to interfere with Corbin's staff.
"He is extremely respectful of the people we have in place," Rigby said. "I think he wanted to make sure he felt comfortable about what the role would be and we wanted to feel comfortable that the time was right for Jerry.
"We really feel like the time is right now, and we're excited about this."
The Jazz won seven division titles and racked up 13 seasons of 50-plus wins during Sloan's 23-year tenure as head coach from 1988 when he replaced Frank Layden until his resignation 26 months ago. He was inducted into the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame in 2009 with Jazz point guard great John Stockton.
The draft is a week away, but this has been a busy offseason for the Jazz. They've returned two familiar faces to the fold. They've seen Hornacek leave to take a head coaching gig with the Suns. Also earlier this week, the organization announced a $15 million renovation project for EnergySolutions Arena, highlighted by a new 42-foot-wide state-of-the-art video scoreboard.
In the upcoming weeks, they have three draft picks to make — Nos. 14, 21 and 46 — and need to fill a handful of vacant roster spots during the free-agency period, which begins on July 1.
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Brad Rock: Utah's Travis Wilson needs another...
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 86
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 35
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33