Utah Jazz hire Jerry Sloan in a senior basketball adviser role
Added Rigby: "To have Jerry Sloan available for Coach Corbin, for Dennis and Kevin ... to help (them) continue to make right decisions and to help build a championship caliber team is extremely valuable."
Rigby said "respectful conversations" with Sloan have been ongoing for quite some time. It was made clear that the organization's old coach didn't want to interfere with Corbin's staff.
"He is extremely respectful of the people we have in place," Rigby said. "I think he wanted to make sure he felt comfortable about what the role would be and we wanted to feel comfortable that the time was right for Jerry.
"We really feel like the time is right now, and we're excited about this."
The Jazz won seven division titles and racked up 13 seasons of 50-plus wins during Sloan's 23-year tenure as head coach from 1988 when he replaced Frank Layden until his resignation 26 months ago. He was inducted into the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame in 2009 with Jazz point guard great John Stockton.
The draft is a week away, but this has been a busy offseason for the Jazz. They've returned two familiar faces to the fold. They've seen Hornacek leave to take a head coaching gig with the Suns. Also earlier this week, the organization announced a $15 million renovation project for EnergySolutions Arena, highlighted by a new 42-foot-wide state-of-the-art video scoreboard.
In the upcoming weeks, they have three draft picks to make — Nos. 14, 21 and 46 — and need to fill a handful of vacant roster spots during the free-agency period, which begins on July 1.
- Gordon Hayward looks to get better at...
- National experts weigh in on the BYU Cougars'...
- 2015 Deseret News NFL Mock Draft: Wide...
- Analysis: Utah Jazz will be better, but will...
- Utahns in baseball: BYU alum Jaycob Brugman's...
- Rock On: Next Utah college coach to leave is ...
- Amy Donaldson: South Summit High community...
- High school track: Top performances from 2015
- Little offense as main players sit out... 102
- Brad Rock: BYU's window is closing; big... 101
- Ultimate football road trips:... 48
- Morning links: Duke in pursuit of Lone... 44
- Brighton wide receiver Simi Fehoko... 42
- BYU offense looking to move the ball,... 30
- Analysis: Utah Jazz will be better, but... 14
- Dave Rose hires May as BYU's director... 13