Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah wide receiver Quinton Pedroza has been dismissed from the team for an undisclosed violation of team rules.
Despite not making any catches and returning just one kick in his first two seasons with the Utes, Pedroza was expected to compete for a starting receiver spot and the return specialist job this fall.
Pedroza, a 6-foot-2, 216-pound junior out of Chino, Calif., appeared in 14 games at Utah. He made two tackles on special teams in 2012 and had a 23-yard kick return against UCLA in 2011.
With Pedroza’s departure, the primary contenders for playing time at wide receiver in 2013 include Dres Anderson, Kenneth Scott, Andre Lewis, Anthony Denham, Brian Allen and Sean Fitzgerald. Anderson, Scott and Lewis are juniors. Denham and Fitzgerald are seniors, while Allen is a redshirt freshman.
The Utes open Aug. 29 at home against Utah State.
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down Utah and...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker: Week 3
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty overturned,...
- Heisman Trophy tracker: Week 3, injuries...
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback...
- BYU's Hill has come a long way since loss at...
- Week 2 NFL locals roundup: Players from Utah...
- Sports BLT video: Bronco Mendenhall provides...
- Pac-12 trips have made the Big House a... 108
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 69
- BYU moves up to No. 21 in AP poll, No.... 61
- Vai's View: BYU's greatest quarterback... 52
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU... 51
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 49
- BYU off to first 3-0 start in 6... 48
- If BYU and Utah played on the gridiron... 45