Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah wide receiver Quinton Pedroza has been dismissed from the team for an undisclosed violation of team rules.
Despite not making any catches and returning just one kick in his first two seasons with the Utes, Pedroza was expected to compete for a starting receiver spot and the return specialist job this fall.
Pedroza, a 6-foot-2, 216-pound junior out of Chino, Calif., appeared in 14 games at Utah. He made two tackles on special teams in 2012 and had a 23-yard kick return against UCLA in 2011.
With Pedroza’s departure, the primary contenders for playing time at wide receiver in 2013 include Dres Anderson, Kenneth Scott, Andre Lewis, Anthony Denham, Brian Allen and Sean Fitzgerald. Anderson, Scott and Lewis are juniors. Denham and Fitzgerald are seniors, while Allen is a redshirt freshman.
The Utes open Aug. 29 at home against Utah State.
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- Dick Harmon: John Beck very impressed with...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle Whittingham...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Brad Rock: Jazz dreaming of a Blazing future
- BYU's worldwide fan base highlighted in...
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 103
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 75
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 64
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 45
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34
- BYU vs. No. 21 UMass live blog:... 27