Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah wide receiver Quinton Pedroza has been dismissed from the team for an undisclosed violation of team rules.
Despite not making any catches and returning just one kick in his first two seasons with the Utes, Pedroza was expected to compete for a starting receiver spot and the return specialist job this fall.
Pedroza, a 6-foot-2, 216-pound junior out of Chino, Calif., appeared in 14 games at Utah. He made two tackles on special teams in 2012 and had a 23-yard kick return against UCLA in 2011.
With Pedroza’s departure, the primary contenders for playing time at wide receiver in 2013 include Dres Anderson, Kenneth Scott, Andre Lewis, Anthony Denham, Brian Allen and Sean Fitzgerald. Anderson, Scott and Lewis are juniors. Denham and Fitzgerald are seniors, while Allen is a redshirt freshman.
The Utes open Aug. 29 at home against Utah State.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 105
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 95
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 78
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 59
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 49
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 42