Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah wide receiver Quinton Pedroza has been dismissed from the team for an undisclosed violation of team rules.
Despite not making any catches and returning just one kick in his first two seasons with the Utes, Pedroza was expected to compete for a starting receiver spot and the return specialist job this fall.
Pedroza, a 6-foot-2, 216-pound junior out of Chino, Calif., appeared in 14 games at Utah. He made two tackles on special teams in 2012 and had a 23-yard kick return against UCLA in 2011.
With Pedroza’s departure, the primary contenders for playing time at wide receiver in 2013 include Dres Anderson, Kenneth Scott, Andre Lewis, Anthony Denham, Brian Allen and Sean Fitzgerald. Anderson, Scott and Lewis are juniors. Denham and Fitzgerald are seniors, while Allen is a redshirt freshman.
The Utes open Aug. 29 at home against Utah State.
- Boise State blasts BYU 55-30, Mendenhall...
- Dick Harmon: Boise State embarrasses a...
- High school football: State tournament pairings
- Plenty of blame to go around for Cougars...
- Utah-USC: Battle of ranked teams at...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz wrap up preseason play at 5-3...
- Former BYU Cougar and returned missionary...
- BYU football report card: Boise State's big...
- Boise State blasts BYU 55-30,... 113
- Dick Harmon: Utes climb on big stage;... 75
- Dick Harmon: Boise State embarrasses a... 61
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some... 26
- Utes picked to finish 2nd in Pac-12... 24
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 21
- Beast mode: Utah running back Devontae... 18
- BYU walk-on Carter makes most of... 18