RIVERTON — A Riverton man is facing one count of aggravated abuse of a vulnerable adult after police say he neglected his bedridden wife to the point she needed hospital care.
Richard Hardy, 51, was charged Tuesday in 3rd District Court, the charge is a second-degree felony.
A Unified Police detective discovered Richard Hardy's 55-year-old wife, bedridden and diagnosed with multiple sclerosis during an investigation of a domestic violence complaint at the Hardy's residence, according to the charges.
The woman was transported May 8 to Riverton Hospital for treatment required due to a lack of sanitary care, charges state. A bedsore measuring about 5 inches in diameter was found on her back, along with open sores on the insides of her knees, near her feeding tube. Other irritations were discovered on her face, scalp, ears, legs and feet, charges state.
A doctor at Riverton Hospital determined the woman was suffering from severe sepsis, encephalopathy, as well as Multiple Sclerosis, according to the charges. Family members told police Hardy had limited their access to his wife.
— Katie McKellar
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 42
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 37
- Mitt Romney says family still wants him... 35
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Old West showdown? Freeway cattle drive... 30
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 29
- Hal Boyd: Why Mitt Romney's family,... 26