Cap'n Crunch refutes claims he's not actually a captain
It's a hard notion to swallow.
On the cereal box, Cap'n Crunch's uniform displays three stripes on his cuff. There's only one problem with that: Captains traditionally have four stripes on their uniforms, according to the U.S. Navy's official rankings.
The story is so controversial for cereal lovers and military enthusiasts across the country that CNN talked about it on air.
But Cap'n Crunch won't go down without a fight. He took to his Twitter account to deny the claims, tweeting, "All hearsay & misunderstandings! I captain the S.S. Guppy with my crew, which makes me an official Cap'n."
And Gawker reports that he may not have to address the rumors at all, because being in command of a seafaring vessel automatically entitles one to be called captain regardless of rank.
So, whatever your position is on this vital issue, make sure to think about it next time you're walking down the cereal aisle at the grocery store.
Michael Smith is an intern in the news section of DeseretNews.com. A 2013 graduate of the University of Utah, he will be attending Northwestern's Medill School of Journalism in the fall.
- Canada man finds an Elizabeth Gallagher for...
- AP Photos: 4 seasons in 1 war on WWI...
- Theater shooter's parents plead for his life,...
- Hackers warn not to release 'The Interview'...
- Feisty former NYC schools chief cuts loose on...
- Final goodbye: Roll call of some who died in...
- A post-election flurry: Obama tests his powers
- Forget Santa Claus, Virginia. Was there a...
- Obama: US re-establishing diplomatic... 49
- Vermont governor abandons single-payer... 32
- Police: 3 dead, including gunman, in... 18
- Sony cancels 'The Interview' Dec. 25... 15
- A post-election flurry: Obama tests his... 14
- Taliban assault on Pakistan school... 13
- Utah football's Hackett, Orchard named... 11
- So wait? Pets don't go to heaven? 9