Cap'n Crunch refutes claims he's not actually a captain
It's a hard notion to swallow.
On the cereal box, Cap'n Crunch's uniform displays three stripes on his cuff. There's only one problem with that: Captains traditionally have four stripes on their uniforms, according to the U.S. Navy's official rankings.
The story is so controversial for cereal lovers and military enthusiasts across the country that CNN talked about it on air.
But Cap'n Crunch won't go down without a fight. He took to his Twitter account to deny the claims, tweeting, "All hearsay & misunderstandings! I captain the S.S. Guppy with my crew, which makes me an official Cap'n."
And Gawker reports that he may not have to address the rumors at all, because being in command of a seafaring vessel automatically entitles one to be called captain regardless of rank.
So, whatever your position is on this vital issue, make sure to think about it next time you're walking down the cereal aisle at the grocery store.
Michael Smith is an intern in the news section of DeseretNews.com. A 2013 graduate of the University of Utah, he will be attending Northwestern's Medill School of Journalism in the fall.
- Georgia girl struck by plane on Florida beach...
- Trial begins for Salt Lake attorney seeking...
- The Great War: 100 photos marking 100 years...
- Ground Zero cross can stay at 9/11 museum,...
- Comic-Con's dark side: Harassment amid the...
- US Court: Virginia marriage is for all lovers
- Be ready for 'prolonged' Gaza war, Netanyahu...
- NCAA settles head injury suit, will change rules
- US Court: Virginia marriage is for all... 43
- Federal land managers criticized over... 26
- Feds cap fines for not buying health... 22
- Obama maintains busy fundraising... 22
- After government topples crosses in... 19
- Fast food workers vow civil disobedience 15
- Gaza sides agree to lull but truce... 13
- Sarah Palin launches online... 10