Cap'n Crunch refutes claims he's not actually a captain
It's a hard notion to swallow.
On the cereal box, Cap'n Crunch's uniform displays three stripes on his cuff. There's only one problem with that: Captains traditionally have four stripes on their uniforms, according to the U.S. Navy's official rankings.
The story is so controversial for cereal lovers and military enthusiasts across the country that CNN talked about it on air.
But Cap'n Crunch won't go down without a fight. He took to his Twitter account to deny the claims, tweeting, "All hearsay & misunderstandings! I captain the S.S. Guppy with my crew, which makes me an official Cap'n."
And Gawker reports that he may not have to address the rumors at all, because being in command of a seafaring vessel automatically entitles one to be called captain regardless of rank.
So, whatever your position is on this vital issue, make sure to think about it next time you're walking down the cereal aisle at the grocery store.
Michael Smith is an intern in the news section of DeseretNews.com. A 2013 graduate of the University of Utah, he will be attending Northwestern's Medill School of Journalism in the fall.
- 11 best—and worst—state tax systems
- Scotland votes to remain part of United Kingdom
- Review: Larger iPhones eliminate reason to...
- 'Gotham' actor's Penguin inspired by DC Comics
- Chiefs' Reid dedicated to domestic abuse victims
- Trial opens for Detroit officer who killed...
- Home Depot breach affected 56M debit, credit...
- Vote counting begins in Scotland on independence
- US wealth gap putting the squeeze on... 27
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 20
- President Obama: Ebola outbreak a... 15
- Chicago, NY, Hawaii on Obama library's... 12
- School police stock up on free military... 11
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- US won't rule out working with Iran... 7
- Gamers use police hoax to lash out at... 6