Cap'n Crunch refutes claims he's not actually a captain
It's a hard notion to swallow.
On the cereal box, Cap'n Crunch's uniform displays three stripes on his cuff. There's only one problem with that: Captains traditionally have four stripes on their uniforms, according to the U.S. Navy's official rankings.
The story is so controversial for cereal lovers and military enthusiasts across the country that CNN talked about it on air.
But Cap'n Crunch won't go down without a fight. He took to his Twitter account to deny the claims, tweeting, "All hearsay & misunderstandings! I captain the S.S. Guppy with my crew, which makes me an official Cap'n."
And Gawker reports that he may not have to address the rumors at all, because being in command of a seafaring vessel automatically entitles one to be called captain regardless of rank.
So, whatever your position is on this vital issue, make sure to think about it next time you're walking down the cereal aisle at the grocery store.
Michael Smith is an intern in the news section of DeseretNews.com. A 2013 graduate of the University of Utah, he will be attending Northwestern's Medill School of Journalism in the fall.
- 5 things to know about the Super Bowl and sex...
- Over 100 missing, 14 dead as strong quake...
- US adds just 151k jobs in January; 4.9...
- Manhattan crane topples into street killing...
- Florida readies for a fight with Zika virus
- Va. Tech murder suspects left few clues to...
- Lindsey Vonn wins women's World Cup downhill
- Thousands more Syrians rush toward Turkey to...
- US adds just 151k jobs in January; 4.9... 28
- Cruz tops Trump in Iowa; Clinton,... 22
- Obama pushes for every child to learn... 21
- Cruz, Rubio eye NH momentum as Dems... 15
- Donald Trump calls for Iowa election... 14
- Americans are packing classes in how to... 12
- Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul quits 2016 GOP... 12
- Once a bromance, now a brawl: Trump and... 10