High school football: Jordan will be without top receiver Mason Krueger in 2013
SANDY — Jordan High's football team will be without its leading receiver as it looks to repeat as 5A state champions in the 2013 season.
Mason Krueger elected to hang up his helmet permanently and focus strictly on baseball.
“I committed Utah Valley for baseball and that’s pretty much it,” Krueger said. "We have great coaches, so I feel no matter who's out there they’re going to do a good job of getting wins any way they can. We have good athletes. I think they’ll be fine.”
Krueger led the Beetdiggers with 63 receptions for 885 yards and nine touchdowns during the 12-1 championship season that culminated with a 58-2 win over Syracuse in the state championship. Against the Titans, Krueger hauled in five catches for 133 yards and two scores to help Jordan capture its first state title since 1994.
“I still think about it but I’m pretty set on not playing,” Krueger said when asked if the decision was concrete.
With Krueger’s departure, an offense that averaged 47.5 points per game is completely void of a proven playmaker at the hashes. Senior Conner Bollingbroke now has the top production total with only seven receptions for 84 yards.
Email: email@example.com Twitter: @TPhibbsDNews
- Utah Jazz: A look at each player's contract...
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- Utah Jazz: Future of Trevor Booker, Joe...
- BYU volleyball: Cougars upset No. 1 Hawai'i...
- Salt Lake marathon is first win for Lehi...
- Utah's second spring scrimmage is 'a dead heat'
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches
- What are the chances? Breaking down NBA...
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 76
- Utah football: Dres Anderson shines in... 58
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 32
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 25
- Mountain West Conference announces... 22
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- Video: Utah football coaches revved up... 16