Photo courtesy of BYU News Release
BYU communications students took their work to the next level when they turned a commercial that started out as a class assignment into a national ADDY winner.
The students won the Student Gold ADDY and Student Judges’ Choice Award in Phoenix at the American Advertising Federation Student ADDY Competition.
The BYU team did an advertisement for Philips in the commercial, showing how powerfully the company’s light bulbs illuminate. The commercial shows an older man who believes he is walking toward the “light at the end of the tunnel,” only to discover his wife replacing an old light bulb with a new, brighter one from Philips.
“The only thing I hoped for was to hear the crowd laugh, and it happened,” said Michelle Brodrick in an interview with BYU. “I don’t think it’s quite hit me that we won this national award. What makes me happy is just seeing people’s reaction to it.”
Brodrick worked on the ad's concept along with students Kasey Ahlstrom and Brianne Hepworth. They also worked with BYU’s College of Fine Arts and Communications and student Dallin Cerva, who directed, produced and edited the commercial, according to a BYU news release.
This is not the first time BYU has won an ADDY award. In 2010, BYU students won for their “Doritos Guardians” campaign.
Winner of The Silver Addy Award in District, Gold Addy Award in Region, Gold Addy Award in Nationals and Judges Choice Award
- 31 things you might not know about the Harry...
- 'The Book of Mormon' musical is an...
- Dear daughter, when did I last wash your hair?
- Motherhood Matters: 4 ways to help your...
- Mormon thrill ride creator still generating...
- ValueSpeak: 'Goodbye, Farewell and Amen'
- The Clean Cut: Musician's movie theater...
- From Russia with love: Italian swimmer...
- 'The Book of Mormon' musical is an... 113
- Beating the odds: Trip to the White... 4
- Dear daughter, when did I last wash... 2
- UTubers: Jenny Oaks Baker and family... 2
- Imagine Dragons treated like home team... 2
- Mormon thrill ride creator still... 2
- Cruise, Ferguson deliver a winner with... 1
- Renovation Solutions: Finding more... 1