Photo courtesy of BYU News Release
BYU communications students took their work to the next level when they turned a commercial that started out as a class assignment into a national ADDY winner.
The students won the Student Gold ADDY and Student Judges’ Choice Award in Phoenix at the American Advertising Federation Student ADDY Competition.
The BYU team did an advertisement for Philips in the commercial, showing how powerfully the company’s light bulbs illuminate. The commercial shows an older man who believes he is walking toward the “light at the end of the tunnel,” only to discover his wife replacing an old light bulb with a new, brighter one from Philips.
“The only thing I hoped for was to hear the crowd laugh, and it happened,” said Michelle Brodrick in an interview with BYU. “I don’t think it’s quite hit me that we won this national award. What makes me happy is just seeing people’s reaction to it.”
Brodrick worked on the ad's concept along with students Kasey Ahlstrom and Brianne Hepworth. They also worked with BYU’s College of Fine Arts and Communications and student Dallin Cerva, who directed, produced and edited the commercial, according to a BYU news release.
This is not the first time BYU has won an ADDY award. In 2010, BYU students won for their “Doritos Guardians” campaign.
Winner of The Silver Addy Award in District, Gold Addy Award in Region, Gold Addy Award in Nationals and Judges Choice Award
- 3 Utah mothers to compete in U.S. Olympic...
- Stress, chocolate and loneliness: How...
- Why more singles of all ages are checking out...
- Sherry Young: Can we go from snow sliding...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: The romance of restraint
- 5 ways to spot a sweetheart scam this...
- The Clean Cut: Deaf singer-songwriter uses...
- Erin Stewart: To my husband on Valentine's Day
- If Splenda gives Swiss rats cancer,... 6
- Valentine's Day is the day to see loved... 2
- Erin Stewart: To my husband on... 1
- Sherry Young: Can we go from snow... 1
- The heart of the matter: What your... 0
- Motherhood Matters: How to manage... 0
- The Clean Cut: New trailer for... 0
- UTubers: Devin Graham re-creates... 0