Photo courtesy of BYU News Release
BYU communications students took their work to the next level when they turned a commercial that started out as a class assignment into a national ADDY winner.
The students won the Student Gold ADDY and Student Judges’ Choice Award in Phoenix at the American Advertising Federation Student ADDY Competition.
The BYU team did an advertisement for Philips in the commercial, showing how powerfully the company’s light bulbs illuminate. The commercial shows an older man who believes he is walking toward the “light at the end of the tunnel,” only to discover his wife replacing an old light bulb with a new, brighter one from Philips.
“The only thing I hoped for was to hear the crowd laugh, and it happened,” said Michelle Brodrick in an interview with BYU. “I don’t think it’s quite hit me that we won this national award. What makes me happy is just seeing people’s reaction to it.”
Brodrick worked on the ad's concept along with students Kasey Ahlstrom and Brianne Hepworth. They also worked with BYU’s College of Fine Arts and Communications and student Dallin Cerva, who directed, produced and edited the commercial, according to a BYU news release.
This is not the first time BYU has won an ADDY award. In 2010, BYU students won for their “Doritos Guardians” campaign.
Winner of The Silver Addy Award in District, Gold Addy Award in Region, Gold Addy Award in Nationals and Judges Choice Award
- One thing that changed my view of marriage...
- Renovation Solutions: 5 signs it is time to...
- Power of Moms: The 21-day motherhood challenge
- A simple way to know that you're with the...
- The Clean Cut: 'Studio C' releases Marvel...
- How one woman unplugged from technology for...
- Does an American child really go missing...
- 'Priceless' Hot Wheels car design for...
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy... 50
- One thing that changed my view of... 37
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: A different view... 7
- How one woman unplugged from technology... 6
- The Clean Cut: Lucasfilm responds to... 4
- Does an American child really go... 3
- The one joke we make about love may... 3
- 1 out of 7 Americans has this kind of... 2