SALT LAKE CITY — The state Division of Wildlife Resources is hosting a free field trip to view peregrine falcons in downtown Salt Lake City on Thursday, June 20.
The field trip will happen on Temple Square at 6 p.m. Bob Walters, Watchable Wildlife coordinator for the DWR, will lead the trip. To participate, meet just east of the Joseph Smith Memorial Building on Temple Square.
Walters said Salt Lake City’s famous falcon pair deposited four eggs this spring in a nest box on the northeast side of the JSMB. “For unknown reasons,” he said, “only one of the four eggs hatched.”
The adult peregrines will be perched on the edge of the nest box or on the side of the building. Walters says the recently hatched falcon isn’t quite ready to fly yet. He thinks the young falcon will start flying about a week after the viewing event.
When the falcon takes those harrowing first flights, Walters and a team of volunteers will be on hand to rescue it. “You never know where young falcons will end up,” Walters says. “We’ve had them land in the middle of the busy downtown streets and crash into the sides of buildings. But wherever the bird lands, we’ll be there to pick it up."
On the same evening the field trip is held, Walters will train anyone who wants to become a member of his volunteer Peregrine Falcon Watchpost Rescue Team.
For more information about the field trip or the training, call Walters at 801-209-5326.
- Prison relocation process slows down
- Mom of Darrien Hunt being investigated in...
- Strack family: Search warrants begin 'to...
- New poll shows Love, Owens race tightens;...
- Clearfield pediatrician arrested in child...
- Crash on U.S. 40 west of Vernal injures 3,...
- Man accused of shooting 72-year-old West...
- Utah families, researchers play role in...
- Doug Owens ahead of Mia Love in new poll 59
- Most Utah students aren't proficient in... 54
- New poll shows Love, Owens race... 46
- State autopsy: Police shot Darrien Hunt... 34
- Officers say they shot Darrien Hunt out... 30
- Final debate between Mia Love and Doug... 27
- Prison relocation process slows down 24
- Utah among lowest in nation in... 21