Video: Miss Utah USA flubs answer at Miss USA pageant, takes 4th
Jeff Bottari, FR170524AP
Miss South Carolina Teen USA Caitlin Upton might finally be able to move on with her life.
The 2007 Miss Teen USA contenstant became famous after giving a bizarre answer to a question about locating the United States on a map, but now, everyone is talking about the latest pageant contestant to flub a question.
And she's our very own: Miss Utah USA 2013, Marissa Powell.
Sunday at the Miss USA pageant, Powell selected a question from a bowl held by one of the show's hosts, singer Nick Jonas. The question was asked by Real Housewives of Atlanta star NeNe Leakes.
Here is the transcript of the question and answer, as first reported by Deadspin:
Leakes: "A recent report shows that in 40 percent of American families with children, women are the primary earners, yet they continue to earn less than men. What does this say about society?"
Powell: "I think we can relate this back to education, and how we are continuing to try to strive to [long pause] figure out how to create jobs right now.
"That is the biggest problem. And I think, especially the men are um seen as the leaders of this, and so we need to try to figure out how to create education better so we can solve this problem. Thank you."
Jonas' co-host Giuliana Rancic was holding the microphone for Powell, and seemed to know she had gotten flustered, just like Mario Lopez did six years ago.
Buzzfeed reports the 21-year-old Powell was named Miss Utah USA on October 27, 2012, at the Val. A. Browning Center for the Performing Arts in Ogden.
Powell, a graduate of Skyline High School in Salt Lake City, first attended Westminster College before transferring to Brigham Young University.
According to her bio, Powell is a singer and model who has performed all over Utah, including singing the Star-Spangled Banner at a Real Salt Lake game. Additionally, Powell was a star volleyball player in high school, and was voted the Deseret News First Team All-State 5A Defensive Specialist of the Year in 2009. She is also the ambassador for Healing Hands for Haiti, a non-profit organization dedicated to bringing rehabilitation medicine to Haiti.
Powell finished as the third runner-up in the competition, with Miss Connecticut USA Erin Brady taking the title.
After Powell's response, Miss Utah became the number one trending topic on Twitter, even over Game 5 of the NBA Finals.
Michael Smith is an intern in the news section of DeseretNews.com. A 2013 graduate of the University of Utah, he will be attending Northwestern's Medill School of Journalism in the fall.
- Bingham High students walk out over dress code
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Shots fired after fight at high school in...
- Utah's expanding Hispanic business at center...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Creativity of ALS ice bucket challenge boosts...
- Big screen 'Maze Runner' is a big dream come...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 166
- Bingham High students walk out over... 92
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 87
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 38
- Police release names of officers... 37
- Poll: Utahns in favor of school... 27
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 19
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge... 18