ROY — Police arrested a man after he took off with their patrol car, Saturday.
Police responded to a call of an intoxicated man and woman who were acting suspiciously in a JoAnn's parking lot in Riverdale at about 9:40 a.m.
Officers found the couple in a stolen car in the parking lot, doing drugs they had just bought using money from car burglaries earlier Saturday, police said.
They arrested the man and put him in the back of a patrol car. While police were looking through the contents of the stolen vehicle, the suspect slipped out of his handcuffs and into the driver's seat of the police car.
"The vehicle then jumped a berm and took off," said Lt. James Ebert of the Riverdale Police Department.
An officer fired his weapon, hitting the roof of the car with the bullet, but the suspect got away.
He was later spotted in a Roy neighborhood.
"I was out in my front yard watering the lawn and I heard a bunch of brakes and engine revving up," Terry Thackery said.
Thackery thought the man was an officer when he saw him jump out of the patrol car, leaving the engine running.
"And then I thought, this seems kind of weird because he didn't have any backup, so I called 911," he said.
Police set up a perimeter in the area.
The man was eventually arrested for the second time Saturday in a Clinton neighborhood when someone saw him and contacted police.
The man now faces charges of stealing a law enforcement vehicle, possessing drug paraphernalia and vehicle burglary, according to police.
"The theft of a law enforcement vehicle is very disconcerting because we do have tools, we have equipment, we have firearms, we have information," Ebert told KSL. "Even though all of it is password protected and secured by locking mechanisms, it's still a big concern."
Contributing: Dave Self Newlin, Sandra Yi
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: whitevs7
- Security, authorities detain woman...
- Utah Attorney General's office moves to...
- BYU student parlays app idea into a life-changer
- River rafters discover wreckage of aircraft...
- New Salt Lake fire chief caught in political...
- Sandy man gets prison time in $1.5 million...
- Larry H. Miller family pulls Tooele County...
- 'I just can't say 'I'm sorry' enough': Woman...
- Gov. Herbert stepping up pressure on... 44
- Utahns cheer, jeer appeals court's... 36
- Utah Attorney General's office moves to... 21
- Conservative group yanks TV ads... 17
- Parents of teen who died in overdose... 15
- Mayor responds to pending harassment... 14
- PacSun pulls T-shirt from shelves after... 13
- BYU student parlays app idea into a... 12