ROY — Police arrested a man after he took off with their patrol car, Saturday.
Police responded to a call of an intoxicated man and woman who were acting suspiciously in a JoAnn's parking lot in Riverdale at about 9:40 a.m.
Officers found the couple in a stolen car in the parking lot, doing drugs they had just bought using money from car burglaries earlier Saturday, police said.
They arrested the man and put him in the back of a patrol car. While police were looking through the contents of the stolen vehicle, the suspect slipped out of his handcuffs and into the driver's seat of the police car.
"The vehicle then jumped a berm and took off," said Lt. James Ebert of the Riverdale Police Department.
An officer fired his weapon, hitting the roof of the car with the bullet, but the suspect got away.
He was later spotted in a Roy neighborhood.
"I was out in my front yard watering the lawn and I heard a bunch of brakes and engine revving up," Terry Thackery said.
Thackery thought the man was an officer when he saw him jump out of the patrol car, leaving the engine running.
"And then I thought, this seems kind of weird because he didn't have any backup, so I called 911," he said.
Police set up a perimeter in the area.
The man was eventually arrested for the second time Saturday in a Clinton neighborhood when someone saw him and contacted police.
The man now faces charges of stealing a law enforcement vehicle, possessing drug paraphernalia and vehicle burglary, according to police.
"The theft of a law enforcement vehicle is very disconcerting because we do have tools, we have equipment, we have firearms, we have information," Ebert told KSL. "Even though all of it is password protected and secured by locking mechanisms, it's still a big concern."
Contributing: Dave Self Newlin, Sandra Yi
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: whitevs7
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say...
- Deputy's suicide prompted Tooele school...
- Challenge to Utah's same-sex marriage ban
- Roof, tower for Provo City Center Temple add...
- Utah too dependent on federal dollars, state...
- Utah Jazz players, dancers, Bear visit...
- Trail of nightmare abuse outlined in charges...
- Hearing against man accused of murdering...
- Challenge to Utah's same-sex marriage ban 72
- Josh Romney first on scene of crash,... 59
- Should parents pay extra for... 45
- Utah A.G. John Swallow: 'No way to... 25
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 20
- Candidates seeking to replace Swallow... 19
- 'Little Bulldog' will take a break; the... 18
- In our opinion: Pioneer Park progress... 15