But lately it’s not just the weather that makes it pleasant to be in Logan in the fall. USU has won 10 of its last 12 home games. Last year it went 11-2 overall. The Aggies have won 16 of their last 19, the losses coming by a combined six points.
After three decades of irrelevance, USU is back on the instate radar. It is even attracting some recruits who had legitimate offers at Utah and BYU.
So the Aggies have respect. Now Wells says they’re going for contempt.
“I don’t want (opponents) to like us. I don’t want them to want to play us,” he says. “Now we walk into a stadium, any stadium, and expect to win.”
A co-worker pokes his head in the door and tells Wells a caller is on the line in another room. The coach politely excuses himself and apologizes. Upon returning he apologizes again, saying the only interruptions he’d consider would be if a player or a recruit needed to talk.
He speaks again of gratitude to God, family, the university and his players. His voice becomes slightly tremulous, but it’s a voice of conviction. He points out a wall of ex-Aggies who have played in the NFL, another wall containing photos of players who got their degrees.
Fine players, he says, good students, too. He points out that Aggie great Merlin Olsen’s memorabilia is a must-see on the first floor. He says it’s a privilege to coach at his alma mater. And to know the players. He says he wants the previous two years’ success to be a starting point.
Is it getting warmer in the room?
Acting medium is getting harder by the day.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: therockmonster; Facebook: Rockmonster Unplugged
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule difficult...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- From dating advice to awkward returns: 10 of...
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- 5 things to watch for as BYU, Utah and USU...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- ESPN highlights BYU basketball's roster...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 106
- Cougars say they have learned lessons... 70
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 52
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 50
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 41
- Morning links: Tom Hackett is the Utes'... 33
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27