PROVO, Utah — BYU men’s soccer took the lead in the final minutes of the game for its first home win, 1–0, against the Southern California Seahorses.
In the final minutes of the game, incoming freshman Blake Frischknecht placed the first goal for BYU in his season debut. Bryson Pope assisted Frischnecht in a heart-stopping duel with the Seahorses goalkeeper Hayden Coffman for a 1–0 win.
BYU took 21 shots during the game; however, the game was deadlocked 0–0 at the end of the first half. BYU almost had its first goal in the 8th minute when Romy Lakip passed to forward Jace Green. Green placed the ball in the back of the net, but Green was offside during the play.
“This was our best offensive output as far as shots,” head coach Chris Watkins said. “We had 21 shots and eight corners. We did a lot of things well.”
BYU’s win results in a 2–5–1 record for the Cougars, after ending a 5–0 fall preseason. BYU's next home game is Thursday, July 4 at 7:30 p.m. MST against FC Tuscon. The Cougars will compete at South Field on BYU campus. Fans can also watch the game live on KSL and Deseret News.
Brooke Arrington is a public relations major at Brigham Young University and the Public Relations Coordinator for the BYU mens' soccer team.
- 16 Mormon pop culture moments from 2014-15
- Haws breaks all-time scoring record in 1st...
- High school basketball tournaments: Pairings,...
- 15 signs that you're addicted to your Fitbit
- Haws' teammates marvel at his BYU scoring record
- 5A boys basketball tournament central: Live...
- 4A boys state tournament central: Live...
- BYU basketball analysis: How the Cougars flew...
- Too many turnovers, not enough baskets... 114
- Peavler: BYU and Utah would both be... 91
- Holmoe talks about bowl brawl... 82
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 59
- Utes bounce back, blast Sun Devils 45
- Utah falls to No. 13 in AP poll;... 43
- Dick Harmon: Putting Haws' impending... 37
- Morning links: Utah coaching job... 30