PROVO, Utah — BYU men’s soccer took the lead in the final minutes of the game for its first home win, 1–0, against the Southern California Seahorses.
In the final minutes of the game, incoming freshman Blake Frischknecht placed the first goal for BYU in his season debut. Bryson Pope assisted Frischnecht in a heart-stopping duel with the Seahorses goalkeeper Hayden Coffman for a 1–0 win.
BYU took 21 shots during the game; however, the game was deadlocked 0–0 at the end of the first half. BYU almost had its first goal in the 8th minute when Romy Lakip passed to forward Jace Green. Green placed the ball in the back of the net, but Green was offside during the play.
“This was our best offensive output as far as shots,” head coach Chris Watkins said. “We had 21 shots and eight corners. We did a lot of things well.”
BYU’s win results in a 2–5–1 record for the Cougars, after ending a 5–0 fall preseason. BYU's next home game is Thursday, July 4 at 7:30 p.m. MST against FC Tuscon. The Cougars will compete at South Field on BYU campus. Fans can also watch the game live on KSL and Deseret News.
Brooke Arrington is a public relations major at Brigham Young University and the Public Relations Coordinator for the BYU mens' soccer team.
- Jeff Gordon readies for the Brickyard in...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 100
- Morning links: National college... 98
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 80
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 34
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 34
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 31
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 7
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 7