Why owning a pet may be a better financial investment than you think
Albuquerque Journal, Roberto Rosales) THE NEW MEXICAN OUT, Associated Press
Americans love spending money on pets. In fact, U.S. citizens collectively spent $61.4 billion on pets in 2011, wich comes to roughly $500 per household.
While some may consider such excessive spending to be a poor budgeting choice, Yahoo Finance posted a video on Tuesday that claims pet ownership might be a better investment than you think.
In the video, Dr. Stephen Zawistowski, science advisor for the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, expounds on the unseen virtues of pet ownership, along with commentary from enthusiastic pet owners.
“Having a pet in the household makes you feel better about your life, and makes it less likely that you’ll go out and spend money on things you don’t need,” Zawistowski says at the video’s introduction. “When the going gets tough, you walk your dog; you may not need to go out to the bars or restaurants.”
The short video, which was produced by Yahoo Finance’s Cost of Living, purports that along with providing a distraction from unnecessary spending, pet ownership can also reduce your medical bills.
The companionship of pets provides a mood boost, the video claims, which can curb spending on antidepressants. Animals can also help young children build a stronger immune system, and decrease the likelihood of future visits to the doctor.
Pets can also help create good business opportunities, the video explains, because they often help instigate conversation.
Who knew a Chihuahua could have such a great return on investment?
Watch the full video at Yahoo! Finance.
- The 10 most livable small towns
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't leave an estate with...
- Closet clutter: How having fewer,...
- Most American high schoolers don't know how...
- Z'Tejas closing after 13 years at The Gateway
- Balancing act: Survey says lack of balance,...
- Sneaky tricks restaurants use to make you...
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in U.S.,...
- Most American high schoolers don't know... 12
- Balancing act: Survey says lack of... 4
- Consumers are padding their checking... 2
- Teen drivers hike Utah car insurance 89... 2
- Before you head off on your vacation,... 2
- Sneaky tricks restaurants use to make... 1
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't leave an estate... 1
- Closet clutter: How having fewer,... 1