Utah Jazz: Saturday's big workouts include BYU's Brandon Davies, Gonzaga's Kelly Olynyk
SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah Jazz's busy week of evaluating prospective players will continue Saturday with a pair of intriguing pre-draft workouts.
Two West Coast Conference big men — BYU's Brandon Davies and Gonzaga's Kelly Olynyk — highlight a group of 12 NBA hopefuls who'll participate in the two sessions at Zions Bank Basketball Center.
The 7-foot, 238-pound Olynyk, whose No. 1-seeded Bulldogs were stunned in the early rounds of the NCAA tournament at EnergySolutions Arena, is the highest-rated player out of the dozen prospects, according to popular mock drafts.
But Saturday's two workouts also include potential first-rounders such as French center Rudy Gobert (7-1, 235), Louisville center Gorgui Dieng (6-11, 245) and Murray State point guard Isaiah Canaan.
The first workout will feature Canaan, Olynyk, San Diego State guard Jamaal Franklin (6-5, 205), New Mexico guard Tony Snell (6-7, 200), Arizona forward Grant Jerrett (6-10, 235) and Virginia guard Erick Green (6-3, 185).
The second workout will feature Davies, Dieng, Gobert, Cal State Fullerton guard Kwame Vaughn (6-3, 195), St. Mary's guard Matthew Dellavedova (6-4 190) and Oregon forward Arsalan Kazemi (6-7, 226).
The Jazz will likely hold more workouts next week leading up to the June 27 NBA draft. Utah has three picks, including the 14th and 21st selections in the first round.
All pre-draft workouts are closed to the public and media.
- AP source: Irving, Barnes finish US Olympic...
- Federer out to turn around frustrating season...
- With 1-0 loss to Colombia, US finishes 4th in...
- Ipsen, Hixon get Olympic 3-meter spots,...
- National champion Sam Mikulak leads US men's...
- Past few days 'difficult' for former...
- Defending champ Serena Williams at Wimbledon...
- Chile wins 2nd straight Copa America title as...
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 168
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 74
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 47
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 43
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 34
- Utah Jazz plan to be 'active' during... 24
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 20