Utah Jazz: Saturday's big workouts include BYU's Brandon Davies, Gonzaga's Kelly Olynyk
SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah Jazz's busy week of evaluating prospective players will continue Saturday with a pair of intriguing pre-draft workouts.
Two West Coast Conference big men — BYU's Brandon Davies and Gonzaga's Kelly Olynyk — highlight a group of 12 NBA hopefuls who'll participate in the two sessions at Zions Bank Basketball Center.
The 7-foot, 238-pound Olynyk, whose No. 1-seeded Bulldogs were stunned in the early rounds of the NCAA tournament at EnergySolutions Arena, is the highest-rated player out of the dozen prospects, according to popular mock drafts.
But Saturday's two workouts also include potential first-rounders such as French center Rudy Gobert (7-1, 235), Louisville center Gorgui Dieng (6-11, 245) and Murray State point guard Isaiah Canaan.
The first workout will feature Canaan, Olynyk, San Diego State guard Jamaal Franklin (6-5, 205), New Mexico guard Tony Snell (6-7, 200), Arizona forward Grant Jerrett (6-10, 235) and Virginia guard Erick Green (6-3, 185).
The second workout will feature Davies, Dieng, Gobert, Cal State Fullerton guard Kwame Vaughn (6-3, 195), St. Mary's guard Matthew Dellavedova (6-4 190) and Oregon forward Arsalan Kazemi (6-7, 226).
The Jazz will likely hold more workouts next week leading up to the June 27 NBA draft. Utah has three picks, including the 14th and 21st selections in the first round.
All pre-draft workouts are closed to the public and media.
- Red and Blue Recruits: 'Sometimes when it...
- Some surprises, lots of defense, on first day...
- Doug Robinson: Making sense of retired...
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Honoring a legend: BYU star quarterback Jim...
- No. 18 BYU expecting 'difficult, volatile'...
- Peavler: Is Utah State BYU's biggest rivalry...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 295
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 83
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 60
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Peavler: Is Utah State BYU's biggest... 49
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 45
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39