Phil Steele ranks USU 2nd-most experienced team in college football, BYU 23rd, Utah 40th
Tom Smart, Deseret News
Much of college football is experience, and according to Phil Steele, USU is as experienced as it comes in Utah.
Most of that team is returning. Thirteen 2013 senior starters are returning to the Aggie depth chart, while three 2013 seniors are on the two deep. Seven junior starters are returning and 12 Aggie juniors are on the two-deep. USU also features two starting sophomores on the post-spring depth chart and no freshmen.
By Steele's point system, this gives USU a total of 81 points, tied for second-most in the nation. Only South Alabama (85) has more.
By comparison, BYU has nine starting seniors, eight starting juniors, five starting sophomores, and no starting freshmen. In the two-deep, BYU has six seniors, five juniors, seven sophomores and four freshmen. Their Steele point total is 72, tied for 23rd with six other teams.
Meanwhile, the University of Utah has nine starting seniors, nine starting juniors, four starting sophomores and no freshmen. In the two deep, Utah has four seniors, seven juniors, five sophomores and six freshmen. Their Steele point total is 69, tied with four other teams.
Depth charts regularly change during the fall, and coaches regularly place certain players at certain positions in the post-spring depth chart in an attempt to motivate the team. At some positions, the depth-chart openly declares who will take the field come the fall. At others, resolving who will actually start is a mystery.
The Beehive State college football season begins Aug. 29 when USU takes on Utah at Rice-Eccles Stadium.
- Utah Jazz: A look at each player's contract...
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- Salt Lake marathon is first win for Lehi...
- Utah's second spring scrimmage is 'a dead heat'
- Optimism abounds for the Utah Jazz's future
- Utah gymnastics: Red Rocks finish second to...
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches
- BYU rugby cruises past Central Washington,...
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 76
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 32
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 26
- Mountain West Conference announces... 22
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches 15
- 3 Utes, 1 Aggie and 1 Cougar selected... 14