SALT LAKE CITY — The Westminster College men’s soccer team released the schedule for the 2013 season Friday afternoon. Head coach Chris Dorich announced that the Griffins will play 18 games during the regular season, with nine of those being played at Dumke Field.
Westminster will face five teams that qualified for the 2012 NAIA National Championships during the upcoming season. Four from that group advanced past the opening round, with two of them reaching at least the quarterfinals. Of the 15 different opponents on the 2013 slate, 10 of them recorded a winning record in 2012.
The season begins with the home opener Aug. 20 against Jamestown (N.D.). That kicks off a stretch of five straight home games to begin the year. The Master’s (Calif.) is in town Aug. 24 to complete the opening weekend. The traditional Westminster Labor Day Classic opens with the Griffins facing Bellevue on Aug. 30. Westminster will also play Midland (Neb.) and MidAmerica Nazarene (Kan.) during the holiday weekend.
The first road game is an in-state battle against Dixie State in St. George. That game, schedule for Sept. 7, will mark the first time the two teams have ever played each other. The Griffins visit California the next weekend for games at Concordia (Calif.) on Sept. 12 and at Biola (Calif.) on Sept. 14.
The final four home games come during the last two weekends of September and start with a game on Sept. 20 against Johnson & Wales (Colo.). The Frontier Conference opener is scheduled for Sept. 21 against Great Falls (Mont.) at Dumke Field. Fellow Frontier Conference foe Rocky Mountain (Mont.) is in Salt Lake on Sept. 27. Senior Day is Sept. 29 as the Griffins play host to Cal State San Marcos.
Westminster will end the year with six straight games away from home over three weekends. The stretch begins with a trip to Iowa to play Ashford (Iowa) on Oct. 12 and St. Ambrose (Iowa) on Oct. 13. Frontier Conference play wraps up at Rocky Mountain on Oct. 18 and at Great Falls on Oct. 20. The final weekend of the regular season features games at Bethesda Christian (Calif.) on Oct. 25, and the finals at Cal State San Marcos on Oct. 26.
The NAIA National Championships will begin with opening round games on Nov. 23 at campus sites. The final site will return to Montgomery, Ala., and be played from Dec. 2-7 at the Emory Folmar YMCA Soccer Complex.
- Despite the loss, Savannah State coach...
- Jimmer Fredette trying to keep his head up as...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get washed away...
- Utes drop out of national rankings following...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Brad Rock: Arizona teaches Utes about waiting
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0
- Local flavor in the NBA: Lillard continues to...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 143
- BYU's Hill plans to return for senior... 116
- UHSAA's Board of Trustees assigns high... 38
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 37
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 36
- For BYU, it's not about opponent... 31
- Despite the loss, Savannah State coach... 23
- Freshman Jake Toolson leads Cougars... 21