SALT LAKE CITY — The Westminster College men’s soccer team released the schedule for the 2013 season Friday afternoon. Head coach Chris Dorich announced that the Griffins will play 18 games during the regular season, with nine of those being played at Dumke Field.
Westminster will face five teams that qualified for the 2012 NAIA National Championships during the upcoming season. Four from that group advanced past the opening round, with two of them reaching at least the quarterfinals. Of the 15 different opponents on the 2013 slate, 10 of them recorded a winning record in 2012.
The season begins with the home opener Aug. 20 against Jamestown (N.D.). That kicks off a stretch of five straight home games to begin the year. The Master’s (Calif.) is in town Aug. 24 to complete the opening weekend. The traditional Westminster Labor Day Classic opens with the Griffins facing Bellevue on Aug. 30. Westminster will also play Midland (Neb.) and MidAmerica Nazarene (Kan.) during the holiday weekend.
The first road game is an in-state battle against Dixie State in St. George. That game, schedule for Sept. 7, will mark the first time the two teams have ever played each other. The Griffins visit California the next weekend for games at Concordia (Calif.) on Sept. 12 and at Biola (Calif.) on Sept. 14.
The final four home games come during the last two weekends of September and start with a game on Sept. 20 against Johnson & Wales (Colo.). The Frontier Conference opener is scheduled for Sept. 21 against Great Falls (Mont.) at Dumke Field. Fellow Frontier Conference foe Rocky Mountain (Mont.) is in Salt Lake on Sept. 27. Senior Day is Sept. 29 as the Griffins play host to Cal State San Marcos.
Westminster will end the year with six straight games away from home over three weekends. The stretch begins with a trip to Iowa to play Ashford (Iowa) on Oct. 12 and St. Ambrose (Iowa) on Oct. 13. Frontier Conference play wraps up at Rocky Mountain on Oct. 18 and at Great Falls on Oct. 20. The final weekend of the regular season features games at Bethesda Christian (Calif.) on Oct. 25, and the finals at Cal State San Marcos on Oct. 26.
The NAIA National Championships will begin with opening round games on Nov. 23 at campus sites. The final site will return to Montgomery, Ala., and be played from Dec. 2-7 at the Emory Folmar YMCA Soccer Complex.
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's volleyball...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule...
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner chasing...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Former Ute player among those invited to work...
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting niche
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 51
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 48
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 47
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 42
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 12
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 10
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8