Last, but certainly not an act to miss, is Isaac “Shovelman” Frankle. Why the shovel, you wonder? “I went to bed one night with my farm tools after a long day of work, and when I woke up it had become a guitar overnight,” Frankle explained. And he hasn’t looked back since. Frankle believes people today have too much stuff. Describing his shovel as a musical Swiss Army knife of sorts, Shovelman uses his shovel as a guitar, bass, drum, and the occasional life vest or paddle. “If I could live in my guitar, I would,” Frankle said.
He describes his music as “folktronica” or “shovel rock — the blues music that comes from a time that didn’t quite ever exist.” Of his performance, Frankle hopes that audiences will be inspired to go home and do some tinkering of their own with their extra junk. “And hopefully they’ll just enjoy the music,” he added.
Along with this sampling of performers are hundreds more acts, including Utah’s own Royal Bliss, crooner Jason Isbell, Ryan Innes and more. Activities include, but are not limited to, the Color Me Rad 5K, the Fear No Film Festival for kids and adults alike, the 41st Annual Utah All-State High School Art Show and the Summerhays Music Center Instrument Petting Zoo.
If you go
What: Utah Arts Festival
Where: Library Square in Salt Lake City
When: June 20-June 23, noon-11 p.m.
Adult admission is $12 at the gate, $10 on Thursday; children (12 and under) are free; seniors (65 and older) are $6. Reduced adult admission is available from noon to 3 p.m. on Thursday and Friday for $6; four-day passes are $35; Y’all come back pass (2-for-1 admission on a return visit) available upon exit; $2 off admission if you ride your bike, with free bike valet service available. Most every event is free with purchase of ticket unless otherwise specified.
For more information, call 801-322-2428, visit uaf.org or download the Utah Arts Festival 2013 app on your smartphone for a list of all events.
Kate Sullivan is an intern for the Deseret News with Mormon Times. She is studying English at Brigham Young University. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hundreds search for missing Provo woman who...
- 'As great as hosting the Olympics': Utah's...
- Father raises awareness of congenital defect...
- Husband and wife of 74 years die hours apart...
- Former Romney finance chairman courting a...
- About Utah: Big-time golf in little ol'...
- 22 songs Utahns love singing in the car
- Former wrestlers charged, assistant coach...
- Utah GOP leaders going forward with new... 61
- Former Romney finance chairman courting... 56
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy... 47
- Former Davis High teacher admits to... 21
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and... 21
- Former wrestlers charged, assistant... 21
- Utah high school students unprepared... 16
- Poll: 'Undecided' tops Utah Republican... 15