Mark Wetzel, Deseret News
KEARNS — A boy woke up Tuesday to find his bike had been stolen from his grandmother's yard. But a man who saw his story made sure he wasn't sidelined for long.
A.J. Garrick, 15, loves to ride his bike during the summer. Someone took it from his grandmother Yvonee Masse's home near 5500 South and 4400 West Tuesday. It was hidden behind a trailer, but the thief saw it anyway.
Garrick has autism, and Masse said any kind of change is difficult for him, especially the loss of his bike.
But a man who saw A.J.'s story on KSL-TV stepped up to help him. The man, a Salt Lake cabinet shop worker who was only identified by the name Daniel, provided a new bike for A.J. on Thursday.
"He's going to be really excited," Masse said. "(Daniel) had a bike that he had had for a while, a three-wheel bike and he would love to give it to A.J."
The blue bike has special meaning for A.J., as his family said it looks just like the stolen bike his father had given him — the last present he received before his dad died.
For a teen with autism, this bike means more than anyone knows, his family said. It means A.J. gets his freedom back, something that's his.
"Thank you, Daniel," A.J. said with a big smile on his face.
And before the sun went down, A.J. took his sister Star for a ride — hopefully one of many to come.
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- Employee error ruins 41 acres of Salt Lake...
- A river runs dry: Water and the future of...
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more in wake...
- 4-year-old boy gets new ear with aid of a 3-D...
- Boy, 3, killed in Lehi scooter accident
- Sen. Harry Reid's retirement recalls his...
- BYU student claims he was evicted after...
- BYU student claims he was evicted after... 47
- Sen. Harry Reid's retirement recalls... 33
- Meetings to resolve Medicaid expansion... 29
- Critics worry firing squad law will... 28
- Tea party movement still strong,... 22
- Salt Lake City to become next Google... 17
- Firing squad's return in Utah may... 14
- UTA board approves new pay plan for... 11