Mark Wetzel, Deseret News
KEARNS — A boy woke up Tuesday to find his bike had been stolen from his grandmother's yard. But a man who saw his story made sure he wasn't sidelined for long.
A.J. Garrick, 15, loves to ride his bike during the summer. Someone took it from his grandmother Yvonee Masse's home near 5500 South and 4400 West Tuesday. It was hidden behind a trailer, but the thief saw it anyway.
Garrick has autism, and Masse said any kind of change is difficult for him, especially the loss of his bike.
But a man who saw A.J.'s story on KSL-TV stepped up to help him. The man, a Salt Lake cabinet shop worker who was only identified by the name Daniel, provided a new bike for A.J. on Thursday.
"He's going to be really excited," Masse said. "(Daniel) had a bike that he had had for a while, a three-wheel bike and he would love to give it to A.J."
The blue bike has special meaning for A.J., as his family said it looks just like the stolen bike his father had given him — the last present he received before his dad died.
For a teen with autism, this bike means more than anyone knows, his family said. It means A.J. gets his freedom back, something that's his.
"Thank you, Daniel," A.J. said with a big smile on his face.
And before the sun went down, A.J. took his sister Star for a ride — hopefully one of many to come.
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- Rare snowstorm traps I-15 motorists overnight...
- About Utah: After 72 years, Keith Hottinger...
- Drunk driver crashes through West Valley...
- Hill Air Force Base employee killed in...
- John Swallow lost computer hard drive on...
- Flu season off and running in Utah; H1N1...
- Ute Tribe sues Wasatch County over...
- Utah judge could be first to rule on... 118
- Many Mormon missionaries who return... 90
- Federal website fixes allowing more... 44
- Tea Party Express endorses Sen. Mike... 29
- As winter takes hold, needs increase... 29
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela 27
- Gov. Gary Herbert unveils $13.3 billion... 18
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday... 16