It’s time to light the grill and sit out on the patio to enjoy the warm weather. There is something about eating outside that makes you feel relaxed. Maybe it’s because typically my husband ends up doing the cooking when it comes to the grill. What is it about men and their grills? Is it flames and meat that make this type of cooking so much more masculine than the indoor cooking that requires measuring, simmering and cleaning up afterwards?
I shouldn’t question the sanctity of the grill. It is in that realm of tools that I don’t know how to use, like the chain saw, lawn mower and weed whacker. I could learn, but until he learns how to iron, we will just continue on with this little arrangement.
Outdoor cooking involves foods that are typically simple and easy to prepare. I love to add a little variety to the traditional burgers, chicken and steaks with a side dish that is perfect for these types of foods. This barbecue baked corn is flavorful and unique but also super easy to prepare. The simple combination of crunchy corn, tangy barbecue sauce and zesty onions and bacon is the perfect mixture of flavors. It always ends up going fast, so you may want to double the recipe.
Belle’s Barbecue Baked Corn
2 (15 ounce) cans of corn, drained
½ cup barbecue sauce
2 tablespoons bacon bits
¼ cup minced onion
Mix all ingredients together and place in an 8-by-8 inch baking dish. Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.
Brenda Stanley is the mother of five children, including two sets of twins, and a grandmother of three. She is a cookbook author and novelist. Her website is at talesofthedinnerbelle.com.
- Best and worst states to have a baby
- 'The Locator' Troy Dunn keeps working to...
- 'Maze Runner,' based on Utah author's novel,...
- 20 things I will not regret doing with my kids
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale of...
- The Clean Cut: New 'Simba cam' takes over...
- Big screen 'Maze Runner' is a big dream come...
- Where do we draw the line on spanking?
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 164
- Where do we draw the line on spanking? 10
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale... 9
- Why do Elsa's and Anna's parents have... 6
- Goodell: 'Same mistakes can never be... 4
- 25 ways I know my husband loves me 4
- Why a parent going to prison can be... 4
- 'The Locator' Troy Dunn keeps working... 4