Trevor Reilly, Jake Murphy to represent Utah Utes football at Pac-12 Media Day
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah will be represented by defensive end Trevor Reilly and tight end Jake Murphy at next month’s Pac-12 Media Day at the Sony Pictures Studios in Culver City, Calif. They’ll join head coach Kyle Whittingham at the July 26 event.
“I think it’s an honor for them to be selected,” Whittingham said. “It speaks to their contributions to the team and the leadership that they have. So I think it’s a very positive thing for the players to be able to participate in that.”
Whittingham noted that the Utes prefer to be represented by upperclassmen at the gathering and that Reilly and Murphy fit the bill. Reilly is a fifth-year senior and Murphy is a fourth-year junior.
“Both guys have been in our program a long time, both are very productive players for us and have represented us very well,” Whittingham said. Reilly led the Utes with 69 tackles last season, while Murphy was second on the team with 33 receptions. Both players earned honorable mention all-conference recognition from the Pac-12.
Prior to media day, Whittingham will join the other Pac-12 coaches on a bi-coastal press tour that includes a visit to ESPN headquarters in Bristol, Conn.
It all comes less than two weeks before players report for camp.
“Do I like the meetings? If we had our choice, I think each coach in the conference would rather be back at their facility with their staff getting ready for the season,” Whittingham said. “But it’s a part of the process. So that being the case, you don’t even think about it. You just do it.”
Utah begins practicing on Aug. 5. The Utes open the season Thursday, Aug. 29 at home against Utah State.
- Roger Federer says he is out for Olympics,...
- Mickelson not close to being over runner-up...
- College Football Playoff moves most future...
- Olympic organizers suspect 'isolated'...
- Cavaliers re-sign veteran forward Richard...
- Jimmy Walker opens with 65 at stifling PGA;...
- Akpom scores deciding goal as Arsenal tops...
- Streb shoots 63 and joins Walker in lead at PGA
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 65
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 58
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 52
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 40
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 37
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 20