Trevor Reilly, Jake Murphy to represent Utah Utes football at Pac-12 Media Day
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah will be represented by defensive end Trevor Reilly and tight end Jake Murphy at next month’s Pac-12 Media Day at the Sony Pictures Studios in Culver City, Calif. They’ll join head coach Kyle Whittingham at the July 26 event.
“I think it’s an honor for them to be selected,” Whittingham said. “It speaks to their contributions to the team and the leadership that they have. So I think it’s a very positive thing for the players to be able to participate in that.”
Whittingham noted that the Utes prefer to be represented by upperclassmen at the gathering and that Reilly and Murphy fit the bill. Reilly is a fifth-year senior and Murphy is a fourth-year junior.
“Both guys have been in our program a long time, both are very productive players for us and have represented us very well,” Whittingham said. Reilly led the Utes with 69 tackles last season, while Murphy was second on the team with 33 receptions. Both players earned honorable mention all-conference recognition from the Pac-12.
Prior to media day, Whittingham will join the other Pac-12 coaches on a bi-coastal press tour that includes a visit to ESPN headquarters in Bristol, Conn.
It all comes less than two weeks before players report for camp.
“Do I like the meetings? If we had our choice, I think each coach in the conference would rather be back at their facility with their staff getting ready for the season,” Whittingham said. “But it’s a part of the process. So that being the case, you don’t even think about it. You just do it.”
Utah begins practicing on Aug. 5. The Utes open the season Thursday, Aug. 29 at home against Utah State.
- Utah Jazz: A look at each player's contract...
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- Salt Lake marathon is first win for Lehi...
- Utah Jazz: Future of Trevor Booker, Joe...
- Utah's second spring scrimmage is 'a dead heat'
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches
- Utah gymnastics: Red Rocks finish second to...
- Optimism abounds for the Utah Jazz's future
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 76
- Utah football: Dres Anderson shines in... 58
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 32
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 25
- Mountain West Conference announces... 22
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- Video: Utah football coaches revved up... 16