Mark Duncan, AP
SAN FRANCISCO — Days after working out with the New England Patriots, former BYU wide receiver Austin Collie had a workout with the San Francisco 49ers on Thursday.
Ian Rapoprt of NFL.com reported that Collie's workout went well, but no signing is imminent due to vacations by some of the 49ers staff.
According to The Sacramento Bee, 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh said "there are still a few more things we want to have checked out" before the team makes a decision on Collie.
The 49ers recently lost top wideout Michael Crabtree indefinitely to a torn achilles, and newly signed Brandon Carswell tore his ACL about an hour into his first practice with the team on Wednesday. Carswell was signed to a two-year deal after San Francisco released Cameron Morrah.
Receivers Mario Manningham and Kyle Williams are both coming back from ACL tears as well.
Collie, who was released from the Indianapolis Colts after suffering multiple concussions and having season-ending knee surgery in 2012, has expressed his desire to return to the NFL next season.
According to Mike Sando of ESPN.com, Collie and Crabtree had statistically similar seasons from 2009 to 2011, and while Collie may not fully replace Crabtree should he sign with San Francisco, he certainly has more NFL experience than some of the other players on the depth chart.
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart from...
- BYU Cougars happy to have Saturday afternoon...
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with...
- No. 21 BYU faces opportunistic, upset-minded...
- Friday night lights central, week 5: Scores,...
- Dick Harmon: Fredette family discusses...
- BYU vs. Virginia primer
- High school football: Felt's Facts for Week...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 107
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 78
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 71
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 62
- Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback Taysom... 54
- If BYU and Utah played on the gridiron... 50
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 50
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 44