Mark Duncan, AP
SAN FRANCISCO — Days after working out with the New England Patriots, former BYU wide receiver Austin Collie had a workout with the San Francisco 49ers on Thursday.
Ian Rapoprt of NFL.com reported that Collie's workout went well, but no signing is imminent due to vacations by some of the 49ers staff.
According to The Sacramento Bee, 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh said "there are still a few more things we want to have checked out" before the team makes a decision on Collie.
The 49ers recently lost top wideout Michael Crabtree indefinitely to a torn achilles, and newly signed Brandon Carswell tore his ACL about an hour into his first practice with the team on Wednesday. Carswell was signed to a two-year deal after San Francisco released Cameron Morrah.
Receivers Mario Manningham and Kyle Williams are both coming back from ACL tears as well.
Collie, who was released from the Indianapolis Colts after suffering multiple concussions and having season-ending knee surgery in 2012, has expressed his desire to return to the NFL next season.
According to Mike Sando of ESPN.com, Collie and Crabtree had statistically similar seasons from 2009 to 2011, and while Collie may not fully replace Crabtree should he sign with San Francisco, he certainly has more NFL experience than some of the other players on the depth chart.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 22