Mark Duncan, AP
SAN FRANCISCO — Days after working out with the New England Patriots, former BYU wide receiver Austin Collie had a workout with the San Francisco 49ers on Thursday.
Ian Rapoprt of NFL.com reported that Collie's workout went well, but no signing is imminent due to vacations by some of the 49ers staff.
According to The Sacramento Bee, 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh said "there are still a few more things we want to have checked out" before the team makes a decision on Collie.
The 49ers recently lost top wideout Michael Crabtree indefinitely to a torn achilles, and newly signed Brandon Carswell tore his ACL about an hour into his first practice with the team on Wednesday. Carswell was signed to a two-year deal after San Francisco released Cameron Morrah.
Receivers Mario Manningham and Kyle Williams are both coming back from ACL tears as well.
Collie, who was released from the Indianapolis Colts after suffering multiple concussions and having season-ending knee surgery in 2012, has expressed his desire to return to the NFL next season.
According to Mike Sando of ESPN.com, Collie and Crabtree had statistically similar seasons from 2009 to 2011, and while Collie may not fully replace Crabtree should he sign with San Francisco, he certainly has more NFL experience than some of the other players on the depth chart.
- Athletes using sports platforms to push for...
- NFL clears Peyton Manning of HGH allegations
- 7 Russian swimmers to miss Rio Olympics over...
- Michael Jordan gives $2 million; looks to...
- Cubs get closer Aroldis Chapman in trade with...
- Roger Federer says he is out for Olympics,...
- Mickelson not close to being over runner-up...
- College Football Playoff moves most future...
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 62
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 51
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 37
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 33
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 18