CNN reports a Utica, N.Y., man waited two weeks to report his baby missing after last seeing his child at 11:30 p.m. on May 29.
"Based on the information that he's given us, we have a lot of concern," Utica Police Chief Mark Williams said.
The father, 27-year-old Jevon Wameling, told investigators he took his son Levon out for a late-night walk and locked himself out, so he put the boy down on his home's front porch and went around back to find a way in.
Wameling said when he opened his front door, his son was gone. He contacted police through an attorney on Tuesday afternoon.
CNY Central's Maren Guse reports police believe the baby's mother, Amy Warney, was in drug rehabilitation in Albany at the time of the disappearance, and she is cooperating with the investigation.
"I would like to ask anybody that's out there if you know where (Levon Wameling) is, or if he's alive or dead, just please call the Utica police so I can put him to rest," Warney said at a press conference on Thursday.
The missing child has blonde hair, brown eyes and is 2-feet-tall, according to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.
Editor's Note: The original version of this story posted on June 14, 2013, failed to properly follow our editorial policies. The story was shortened on Oct. 8, 2013 to fall within our editorial guidelines for aggregation.
Michael Smith is an intern in the news section of DeseretNews.com. A 2013 graduate of the University of Utah, he will be attending Northwestern's Medill School of Journalism in the fall.
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Africa and...
- Friends, family of Dallas Ebola patient reach...
- Ana turns into hurricane off the coast of Hawaii
- Bishops scrap welcome to gays in sign of split
- Some 60 head of cattle shot in Nevada spree;...
- Can public officials refuse to perform...
- CDC to revise Ebola protocol, Pentagon preps...
- Police hunt for clues near where Va. remains...
- Can public officials refuse to perform... 67
- Houston subpoenas sermons in battle... 32
- Budget deficit drops to $483B, lowest... 26
- Official: 2nd worker isolated within 90... 21
- New Ebola 'czar' knows Washington, but... 21
- Why I stand with the Houston Five 16
- Are teachers getting behind Common... 15
- Gay marriage becomes legal in Arizona,... 14