CNN reports a Utica, N.Y., man waited two weeks to report his baby missing after last seeing his child at 11:30 p.m. on May 29.
"Based on the information that he's given us, we have a lot of concern," Utica Police Chief Mark Williams said.
The father, 27-year-old Jevon Wameling, told investigators he took his son Levon out for a late-night walk and locked himself out, so he put the boy down on his home's front porch and went around back to find a way in.
Wameling said when he opened his front door, his son was gone. He contacted police through an attorney on Tuesday afternoon.
CNY Central's Maren Guse reports police believe the baby's mother, Amy Warney, was in drug rehabilitation in Albany at the time of the disappearance, and she is cooperating with the investigation.
"I would like to ask anybody that's out there if you know where (Levon Wameling) is, or if he's alive or dead, just please call the Utica police so I can put him to rest," Warney said at a press conference on Thursday.
The missing child has blonde hair, brown eyes and is 2-feet-tall, according to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.
Editor's Note: The original version of this story posted on June 14, 2013, failed to properly follow our editorial policies. The story was shortened on Oct. 8, 2013 to fall within our editorial guidelines for aggregation.
Michael Smith is an intern in the news section of DeseretNews.com. A 2013 graduate of the University of Utah, he will be attending Northwestern's Medill School of Journalism in the fall.
- Bigotry? Hatred? Christians say they’re...
- Elder Ballard visits refugee camps in Germany...
- Turkey downs Russian jet it says violated its...
- Officer charged with murder in teen's death;...
- Donald Trump says he'd bring back waterboarding
- Group raised suspicions before 5 were shot at...
- Minneapolis police say 5 shot near protest scene
- They put the giving in Thanksgiving
- Bigotry? Hatred? Christians say... 44
- Trump says he saw people celebrating... 38
- Carson tops new poll of Utah voters 28
- Donald Trump says he'd bring back... 25
- Kerry: US trying to speed up efforts to... 23
- Terrorism propaganda assignment causes... 15
- Turkey downs Russian jet it says... 14
- New school lunch regulations could turn... 12