CNN reports a Utica, N.Y., man waited two weeks to report his baby missing after last seeing his child at 11:30 p.m. on May 29.
"Based on the information that he's given us, we have a lot of concern," Utica Police Chief Mark Williams said.
The father, 27-year-old Jevon Wameling, told investigators he took his son Levon out for a late-night walk and locked himself out, so he put the boy down on his home's front porch and went around back to find a way in.
Wameling said when he opened his front door, his son was gone. He contacted police through an attorney on Tuesday afternoon.
CNY Central's Maren Guse reports police believe the baby's mother, Amy Warney, was in drug rehabilitation in Albany at the time of the disappearance, and she is cooperating with the investigation.
"I would like to ask anybody that's out there if you know where (Levon Wameling) is, or if he's alive or dead, just please call the Utica police so I can put him to rest," Warney said at a press conference on Thursday.
The missing child has blonde hair, brown eyes and is 2-feet-tall, according to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.
Editor's Note: The original version of this story posted on June 14, 2013, failed to properly follow our editorial policies. The story was shortened on Oct. 8, 2013 to fall within our editorial guidelines for aggregation.
Michael Smith is an intern in the news section of DeseretNews.com. A 2013 graduate of the University of Utah, he will be attending Northwestern's Medill School of Journalism in the fall.
- University of Phoenix founder dies, leaving...
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh Hewitt...
- 10 things to know about corporate inversions
- A New York Times article said Michael Brown...
- It's about time the government recognize the...
- UN: Ebola cases could eventually reach 20,000
- Is James Foley a martyr? A brutal death...
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt wed privately at...
- A New York Times article said Michael... 41
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 33
- For the first time in American history,... 30
- 10 things to know about corporate... 27
- Doug Robinson: When did Missouri turn... 24
- Obama back at White House after summer... 17
- Why the poverty cycle is harder to... 15
- Winning plaintiffs in 3 states want... 14