SALT LAKE CITY — The Redevelopment Agency of Salt Lake City has invited the public to attend the grand opening celebration of Sugarmont Plaza on Friday, June 14, from 6-9 p.m.
The plaza is located at the former Deseret Industries Sugar House location, 2227 S. Highland Drive. This family event will feature music and food, as well as tours of the project.
Sugarmont Plaza is a new urban gathering spot that features a colorful plaza surface, murals, tables, chairs and umbrellas available to the public. Food truck rallies, music events, free movie screenings and casual gatherings are all planned for the space in the coming months.
“Sugarmont Plaza activates a part of Sugar House currently undergoing significant change,” said Mark Morris of the nonprofit Friends of the South Salt Lake and Sugar House Streetcar. “We hope many events will be held here this summer, encouraging community members to consider how valuable public space is to them.”
Morris, along with Amy Barry of the Sugar House Community Council, spearheaded the project.
The RDA assisted the Sugarmont Plaza project with a $12,580 “Lighter, Quicker, Cheaper” grant, approved by the RDA board of directors in May.
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 42
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 35
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Mitt Romney says family still wants him... 31
- Old West showdown? Freeway cattle drive... 29
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 27
- Hal Boyd: Why Mitt Romney's family,... 19