WASHINGTON — The Horatio Alger Association of Distinguished Americans has announced the winners of the Horatio Alger John Moran Utah Scholarship.
Horatio Alger scholarship recipients are chosen based on their demonstrated commitment to education, dedication to community service, and strength of character in overcoming personal obstacles to achieve academic excellence, according to a press release.
The Utah winners are: Victoria Au, Itineris Early College High School; Emily Kwok, Timpanogos High School; Erin A. O'Connor, West Jordan High School; Zachery L. Patrick, Bonneville High School; Ashlyn D. Perry, Timpanogos High School; Kayla A. Quinn, Park City High School; Danielle M. Williams, Stansbury High School.
The scholarships are made possible with generous support from Horatio Alger Association member John Moran.
Each student will receive $5,000 that will go toward college tuition, fees, books and on-campus room and board. In addition to the scholarship, the students have access to financial aid and scholarship counseling, college readiness tools and assessments, support and referral services including crisis response and counseling resources, free housing opportunities provided by Campus Crest at 44 campuses across the nation, graduate school funding, and access to a network of their peers and alumni through the association’s website, Facebook and LinkedIn
Since 1984, the Horatio Alger Association has provided $1,375,000 in scholarships to high school seniors from Utah.
- Pres. Nelson honored by the University of Utah
- Rep. Justin Miller pleads guilty to...
- Photo gallery: Night skies over national parks
- Police seek alleged drug money from woman...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with...
- Utah man impresses all four judges on 'The...
- Inmate charged with sending threatening...
- New Salt Lake County ordinance mandates pet...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with... 67
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes... 47
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason... 42
- Scholars disagree whether compromise... 41
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 29
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be... 20
- LDS Church leaders continue to... 17
- Judge dismisses negligence lawsuit... 15