BYU football: Texas Tech could face NCAA sanction after Wes Welker tweets at potential BYU recruit
Texas Tech is investigating a possible NCAA recruiting violation after alumnus and current NFL player Wes Welker tweeted at a potential recruit as he was visiting BYU on June 7.
During an official visit to BYU, Nick Kurtz, a wide receiver from Grossmont College in El Cajon, Calif., tweeted, "Time of my life right now. Everything I expected and more," to which Welker responded, "@TheKurtzWay You are visiting Lubbock already?"
The potential violation occurred after Kurtz clarified to Welker that he had just visited BYU.
"@TheKurtzWay Name me the last WR in the league from BYU? Think big picture. I will give you 50 more reasons why they would be a bad move," tweeted Welker.
Welker then tweeted Kurtz a column written in 2010 by Deseret News author Doug Robinson with the headline "Collie is BYU's first wide receiver to make a big impact in the NFL."
Welker qualifies as a booster per NCAA rules, and according to the NCAA, "boosters may not encourage a prospect’s participation in university athletics."
“The NCAA prohibits that type of communication involving boosters and former student-athletes, and we are in the process of investigation,” Texas Tech spokesman Blayne Beal told Bleacher Report.
Beal said that the twitter exchange would constitute a secondary violation under NCAA rules.
According to NCAA bylaw 19.02.2.1, a secondary violation is "a violation that is isolated or inadvertent and provides or is intended to provide only a minimal recruiting, competitive or other advantage and does not include any significant recruiting inducement or extra benefit. Multiple Secondary violations may be considered a major violation."
Kurtz has been offered scholarships at almost a dozen schools, including BYU, Texas Tech, Cal, Kansas, Illinois and Kentucky.
After spending six seasons with the New England Patriots, the nine-year veteran Welker signed a two-year $12 million contract with the Denver Broncos.
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Utah Jazz give key starters a break in 98-91...
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Utes continue Pac-12 'meat grinder' with...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 46
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 25