SALT LAKE CITY — Gov. Gary Herbert is seeking nominations to fill an open seat on the State Board of Education.
Interested individuals are encouraged to email a résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Nomination to District 6" in the subject line by June 21. The District 6 seat, which represents portions of West Jordan, Taylorsville, Kearns and West Valley City, was recently vacated by board member Joel Coleman, who was appointed last week as the new superintendent of the Utah Schools For the Deaf and Blind.
The State Board of Education is composed of 15 elected members and is charged in the Utah Constitution with the general control and supervision of public schools in the state. The governor's appointee will be expected to fulfil the remainder of Coleman's term in office, which ends Dec. 31, 2014, and will be subject to a confirmation hearing by the Utah Senate.
- Was pregnancy rumor a factor in killing of...
- Two men charged with vandalizing LDS church...
- Missing oilfield worker's body found near Vernal
- Father says daughter was stabbed 46 times
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015 World...
- Teen accused of killing 15-year-old makes...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 86
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 60
- Federal government extends same-sex... 40
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015... 27
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- Support for statewide nondiscrimination... 17
- Police arrest 3 suspected of... 16
- Owens participates in Rotary Club... 16