Study finds racial discrimination in real estate practices
On average, minority groups are given fewer opportunities by real estate agents to look at available homes.
For example, African-Americans are shown 4.2 percent fewer units than white inquirers, according to a study by the Department of Housing and Urban Development.
The numbers get even worse with Hispanic and Asian renters. According to the report, Hispanics are shown 7.5 percent fewer home options than their white counterparts, and Asians are given 6.6 percent fewer tours of possible home purchases.
“For much of the twentieth century, discrimination by private real estate agents and rental property owners helped establish and sustain stark patterns of housing and neighborhood inequality,” the report said. “Looking forward, national fair housing policies must continue to adapt to address the patterns of discrimination and disparity that persist today.”
The study, which is based on tests performed in 28 metropolitan areas and cost roughly $9 million, shows that while real estate discrimination is traceable, the indicators of unequal treatment are subtle.
“Enforcement strategies should not rely primarily on individual complaints of suspected discrimination,” the study concluded. But instead, local fair housing organizations should “conduct more proactive testing, especially in the sales market, where discrimination appears higher than in the rental market.”
Some reporters, such as Adam Serwer of MSNBC, have been quick to point out the limitations of the survey.
“The study did not measure disparate treatment that may occur after the individual seeking the home actually tries to rent or buy it,” Serwer wrote on Tuesday referencing a report by the Department of Justice that shows racial disparities in loans during the recession.
The report itself also acknowledges shortcomings in the research, saying that the level of discrimination is likely higher than their numbers indicate.
- 50 highest paying jobs in Utah
- 7 ways to help your loved one when they've...
- How not to buy a rental property
- Balancing act: Different kinds of guilt...
- Low unemployment rates contribute to dropping...
- Is preschool worth the money?
- Why we don't need to worry that Utah cities...
- Consumer confidence continues to climb in Utah
- Marijuana could deliver more than $800... 13
- 7 reasons why millennials are... 13
- Low unemployment rates contribute to... 7
- 4 things you don't want your boss to know 6
- Is preschool worth the money? 6
- Overdraft and ATM fees higher than ever 4
- Microsoft skips Windows 9 to emphasize... 4
- How to be a billionaire 4