Tom Smart, Deseret News
SOUTH SALT LAKE — Three new school buildings will open their doors in the Granite School District this fall.
Granger High School, Hartvigsen School and Neil Armstrong Academy will be ready to go as part of a 2009 voter-approved bond project.
The new Granger High will be more seismically secure than the existing structure and will be better equipped to handle emerging educational technologies, according to the Granite District. Also, more space will be available to serve a student body that, beginning next year, will consist of seniors, juniors, sophomores, and freshmen.
Students and staff at Hartvgisen — Granite District’s special education school — will be moving into a new building next to Taylorsville High School and Plymouth Elementary for the 2013-14 school year. The facility will be equipped with the medical and educational technologies to better serve special education students.
In addition, Hartvigsen students will benefit from being in close proximity to general education schools, the district said.
Neil Armstrong Academy, Granite School District’s first official science, technology, engineering and math focus school, will be opening this fall.
Located in West Valley City, the school will have a boundary population of approximately 300 students, and an open-enrollment permit population of an additional 300 students from outside the boundaries.
The school will be specifically devoted to the integration of STEM fields as the platform for instruction in the Utah Core Standards. Students will participate in group projects and simulations in problem-based learning experiences that mirror engineering and technology fields.
- Ogden home burglarized while family attends...
- Utah family's adoption of Ethiopian girl...
- John Jones died in a cave, but his widow...
- Video: Utah man uses 'random acts of pasta'...
- Utah lawmakers contemplate law requiring body...
- How do I know if I'm ovulating?
- Why Utahns are some of the biggest spenders,...
- Proposed tax increase a 'bold move' for...
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters... 70
- Prayers, protests raised in Utah as... 36
- Utah to pay plaintiffs in marriage... 34
- 12-year-old girl dies in accidental... 29
- Ogden attorney sues Weber School... 27
- GOP plans to sue over Count My Vote... 27
- LDS Church releases renderings of final... 21
- Proposed tax increase a 'bold move' for... 21