Tom Smart, Deseret News
SOUTH SALT LAKE — Three new school buildings will open their doors in the Granite School District this fall.
Granger High School, Hartvigsen School and Neil Armstrong Academy will be ready to go as part of a 2009 voter-approved bond project.
The new Granger High will be more seismically secure than the existing structure and will be better equipped to handle emerging educational technologies, according to the Granite District. Also, more space will be available to serve a student body that, beginning next year, will consist of seniors, juniors, sophomores, and freshmen.
Students and staff at Hartvgisen — Granite District’s special education school — will be moving into a new building next to Taylorsville High School and Plymouth Elementary for the 2013-14 school year. The facility will be equipped with the medical and educational technologies to better serve special education students.
In addition, Hartvigsen students will benefit from being in close proximity to general education schools, the district said.
Neil Armstrong Academy, Granite School District’s first official science, technology, engineering and math focus school, will be opening this fall.
Located in West Valley City, the school will have a boundary population of approximately 300 students, and an open-enrollment permit population of an additional 300 students from outside the boundaries.
The school will be specifically devoted to the integration of STEM fields as the platform for instruction in the Utah Core Standards. Students will participate in group projects and simulations in problem-based learning experiences that mirror engineering and technology fields.
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Martin MacNeill gets maximum sentence for...
- Supporters for traditional marriage focus on...
- Police release names of officers involved in...
- Motorcyclist critically injured in Roosevelt...
- Bystanders flip SUV to rescue teen from river
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge drinking...
- Astronomers find massive black hole in tiny...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 129
- Police break silence about... 50
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 42
- New definition of homeless would give... 31
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 26
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 22
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20
- Love says commenting on Saratoga... 19