Utes football: Utah picks up commitment from Texas' Bobby Hartzog
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah's football team has picked up a 2014 recruiting commitment from Bobby Hartzog, a 5-foot-10 1/2 senior-to-be at Westside High School in Houston. The wide receiver will play cornerback for the Utes.
Hartzog is a former teammate of 2013 Utah signee Hipolito Corporan. Although he didn't play on defense last season Ute defensive coach Morgan Scalley likes his potential on that side of the ball.
"I really have a strong relationship with coach Scalley and I trust him completely," Hartzog said. "Even though I've never been to Utah I know it's the place for me because of the trust I've built with the coaching staff and after all the research I've done on the program."
Utah started recruiting Hartzog last winter, eventually extending an offer and convincing him to flip on his prior commitment to Houston.
"The fact that Utah plays in the Pac-12 was a huge thing for me in deciding to commit to them," he said. "Playing against competition like that is what every player wants and I'll have that opportunity at Utah."
Through his research Hartzog learned of the educational opportunities at the school with one specific major in mind.
"I really want to study Kinesiology and Utah has a great program there to do that," he said. "I mean, we looked into everything about the school and there's nothing I found that I didn't like about the school or that would make me feel it's the wrong school for me."
Hartzog held offers from Arkansas State, Texas State and from Iowa State among other programs at the time of his commit. Although other programs are likely to show interest he's solid on his commitment to Utah.
"I'm done. Utah is the place for me," he assured.
Hartzog will visit Utah during its camp at the end of the month on an official trip.
"I honestly can't wait to get up there and see Utah for the first time," he said. "It's going to be amazing and I couldn't be more excited for to join such a great program and attend a school like Utah. It's a great opportunity for me."
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best Pac-12...
- BYU-Utah State: How to watch, listen to or...
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's...
- BYU's bowl destination — Las Vegas or...
- BYU-USU video: 5 plays that turned the game...
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 60
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 52
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best... 35
- BYU holds on for tougher-than-expected... 34
- Doug Robinson: It's the same old sad... 32
- Utah State denies David Collette's... 30
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's... 29
- Doug Robinson: Colorado-Utah: In the... 23