BYU’s baseball season was entirely unexpected. Slated near the bottom of the WCC in the preseason, the Cougars shocked the conference by finishing second with a record of 15-9.
Despite the successful regular season, BYU faltered during tournament time, losing out to eventual tournament champion San Diego. Though BYU had a shot to make it to the College World Series on the slim chance that the WCC might have been a three-team league, the Cougars were snubbed from the tournament field.
Professional clubs took notice of the Cougars. With the 75th overall pick, the Chicago Cubs selected freshman slugger Jacob Hannemann, who also played football until this year’s MLB draft.
Along the way, BYU baseball had some fantastic moments. From diving catches to just-in-time throws to walk-off hits and home runs, here are BYU baseball’s top 10 plays, according to BYUtv sports.
- Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and intrigue...
- 24-team Euro 2016 a wacky success
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- Carmelo Anthony among 10 set for US Olympic...
- Jazz snubbed: Agents block players from...
- AP Source: Pacers acquire Thad Young from Nets
- Rio Olympic organizers unveil village where...
- Agent: LeBron James to skip Rio Olympics
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 137
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 57
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 31
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 30
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 19
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 17
- Utah Jazz plan to be 'active' during... 16
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 15