BYU’s baseball season was entirely unexpected. Slated near the bottom of the WCC in the preseason, the Cougars shocked the conference by finishing second with a record of 15-9.
Despite the successful regular season, BYU faltered during tournament time, losing out to eventual tournament champion San Diego. Though BYU had a shot to make it to the College World Series on the slim chance that the WCC might have been a three-team league, the Cougars were snubbed from the tournament field.
Professional clubs took notice of the Cougars. With the 75th overall pick, the Chicago Cubs selected freshman slugger Jacob Hannemann, who also played football until this year’s MLB draft.
Along the way, BYU baseball had some fantastic moments. From diving catches to just-in-time throws to walk-off hits and home runs, here are BYU baseball’s top 10 plays, according to BYUtv sports.
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 82
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 62
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 41
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35
- Former Utah basketball player spreads... 25
- Red and blue recruits: Inside Britain... 24