Former BYU receiver Austin Collie works out for Patriots, but no signing is imminent
David J. Phillip, Associated Press
The New England Patriots brought in free agent wide receiver Austin Collie for a workout, according to Mike Reiss of ESPNBoston.com.
The Patriots, who signed quarterback Tim Tebow Monday, opened their preseason camp Tuesday.
According to USA Today, no signing is imminent, and Collie might have another workout with a different team later in the week. The Patriots already have slot receivers Danny Amendola and Julian Edelman, making the former BYU wide receiver's signing with the team less likely.
Collie, who suffered a series of highly publicized concussions while with the Indianapolis Colts, is working his way back from a ruptured patellar tendon in his right knee. He had surgery to repair the knee and was later released by the Colts after missing 22 games in three seasons due to injury.
Collie has made it clear that he intents to continue his career in the NFL despite the risk of serious injury. In an interview with USA Today he said he is not concerned with the risk of permanent brain damage from suffering repeated concussions.
"I'll sign a waiver, all right?" he told USA Today. "They're not going to have to worry about me suing. I'll hold myself to be accountable."
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Utah Jazz give key starters a break in 98-91...
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Utes continue Pac-12 'meat grinder' with...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 46
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 25