Former BYU receiver Austin Collie works out for Patriots, but no signing is imminent
David J. Phillip, Associated Press
The New England Patriots brought in free agent wide receiver Austin Collie for a workout, according to Mike Reiss of ESPNBoston.com.
The Patriots, who signed quarterback Tim Tebow Monday, opened their preseason camp Tuesday.
According to USA Today, no signing is imminent, and Collie might have another workout with a different team later in the week. The Patriots already have slot receivers Danny Amendola and Julian Edelman, making the former BYU wide receiver's signing with the team less likely.
Collie, who suffered a series of highly publicized concussions while with the Indianapolis Colts, is working his way back from a ruptured patellar tendon in his right knee. He had surgery to repair the knee and was later released by the Colts after missing 22 games in three seasons due to injury.
Collie has made it clear that he intents to continue his career in the NFL despite the risk of serious injury. In an interview with USA Today he said he is not concerned with the risk of permanent brain damage from suffering repeated concussions.
"I'll sign a waiver, all right?" he told USA Today. "They're not going to have to worry about me suing. I'll hold myself to be accountable."
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans in...
- Utah football: Quarterback Kendal Thompson...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 107
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 32
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 21
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20