Former BYU receiver Austin Collie works out for Patriots, but no signing is imminent
David J. Phillip, Associated Press
The New England Patriots brought in free agent wide receiver Austin Collie for a workout, according to Mike Reiss of ESPNBoston.com.
The Patriots, who signed quarterback Tim Tebow Monday, opened their preseason camp Tuesday.
According to USA Today, no signing is imminent, and Collie might have another workout with a different team later in the week. The Patriots already have slot receivers Danny Amendola and Julian Edelman, making the former BYU wide receiver's signing with the team less likely.
Collie, who suffered a series of highly publicized concussions while with the Indianapolis Colts, is working his way back from a ruptured patellar tendon in his right knee. He had surgery to repair the knee and was later released by the Colts after missing 22 games in three seasons due to injury.
Collie has made it clear that he intents to continue his career in the NFL despite the risk of serious injury. In an interview with USA Today he said he is not concerned with the risk of permanent brain damage from suffering repeated concussions.
"I'll sign a waiver, all right?" he told USA Today. "They're not going to have to worry about me suing. I'll hold myself to be accountable."
- The Utah football 100: Ranking the best...
- BYU basketball: What we learned from 4 games...
- High school football roundup for Friday, Aug. 28
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU best-case,...
- BYU football: With opener one week away,...
- Friday night lights: Live coverage of the...
- Dick Harmon: BYU workhorse running back Nate...
- New York Jets waive former BYU quarterback...
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 74
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 61
- Rock On: Sarkisian runs afoul of BYU... 39
- BYU football: Lone Peak's Jackson... 31
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 29
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 28
- Morning links: Utes are the Pac-12's 'X... 27
- Doug Robinson: No days off on Utes'... 24