Former BYU receiver Austin Collie works out for Patriots, but no signing is imminent
David J. Phillip, Associated Press
The New England Patriots brought in free agent wide receiver Austin Collie for a workout, according to Mike Reiss of ESPNBoston.com.
The Patriots, who signed quarterback Tim Tebow Monday, opened their preseason camp Tuesday.
According to USA Today, no signing is imminent, and Collie might have another workout with a different team later in the week. The Patriots already have slot receivers Danny Amendola and Julian Edelman, making the former BYU wide receiver's signing with the team less likely.
Collie, who suffered a series of highly publicized concussions while with the Indianapolis Colts, is working his way back from a ruptured patellar tendon in his right knee. He had surgery to repair the knee and was later released by the Colts after missing 22 games in three seasons due to injury.
Collie has made it clear that he intents to continue his career in the NFL despite the risk of serious injury. In an interview with USA Today he said he is not concerned with the risk of permanent brain damage from suffering repeated concussions.
"I'll sign a waiver, all right?" he told USA Today. "They're not going to have to worry about me suing. I'll hold myself to be accountable."
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- 'Vive la France': Chris Froome makes...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 104
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 45
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 30
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 21
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 15
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 8
- Former BYU guard Cory Calvert to... 7