His father, Henry Eyring, suffered severe pain from bone cancer in his hip. But Henry Erying did not let it hinder his work in his corner of the kingdom of God.
"Dad was the senior high councilor in his stake with the responsibility for the welfare farm. And assignment was given to weed a field of onions, so Dad assigned himself to go work in the farm," President Erying, now the first counselor in the First Presidency, said during the fireside.
His father never conveyed how difficult or painful the work was to his son, but the older Henry Eyring's selfless service also impacted those who worked with him in the fields that day. Their report of his father traveled back to his son.
"(A man I talked to) said that he was weeding in the row next to Dad through much of the day. He said that the pain was so great that Dad was pulling himself along on his stomach with his elbows. He couldn’t kneel."
President Eyring said in his address that everyone who came into contact with his father that day said his father smiled and laughed and was pleasant to be around while they worked.
The lessons from the onion patch continued.
After spending the better part of the day weeding, his father discovered that his freshly unearthed weeds had been sprayed two days earlier and would soon be dead.
"Dad just roared," President Eyring said. "He thought it was a great joke on himself."
President Eyring later asked his father how he could have made a joke out of such a trying situation.
"I wasn't there for the weeds," Henry Eyring told his son.
Emmilie Buchanan is an intern for the Deseret News with Mormon Times. She recently graduated from Brigham Young University-Idaho. Email: email@example.com Twitter: emmiliebuchanan
- Helping people deal with criticisms against...
- Recently vandalized Fort Collins Colorado...
- Want to improve your marriage? Get a hobby,...
- This is even more evidence that Jesus may...
- 8 interesting facts about the Toronto Ontario...
- LDS Church will continue Boy Scout program
- How serving an LDS mission prepared me for...
- Defending the Faith: Parallels between Lehite...
- LDS Church will continue Boy Scout program 256
- Marching band not allowed to perform... 105
- Defending the Faith: Parallels between... 40
- LDS Church releases statement after... 28
- Mormon woman will be first female West... 16
- Is there too much faith in college... 12
- This is even more evidence that Jesus... 8
- Recently vandalized Fort Collins... 8