New fathers looking for a friend along the way may enjoy the new book "Dude, You're a Dad!"
It's light, easy and written rather uniquely with little riddles at the end of the chapters and a series of Crib Notes that sum things up (things you just read).
There's some enlightening information here and there. For example, did you know a baby recognizes his mother's voice and smell from the start but doesn't recognize her face for several weeks?
Did you realize your mama grizzly will feel protective toward her cubs? They become her top priority while other things — including you — get pushed down the list.
"If the baby wants to eat, sleep or throw a fit, it doesn't matter where you are or what you had planned."
But it's basic stuff based on limited life experience.
John Pfeiffer is a dad (of three) and the author of "Dude, You're Gonna Be a Dad!" so apparently that qualifies him to hand out advice.
The problem is that his advice is fairly simplistic and may annoy some who've discovered every child is different and requires additional and new training in the trenches.
However, the book does make an effort in that there is some humor: "Constant change with the caregiver causes babies some stress."
Some realism: "A helicopter is a whole new kind of parent who either cannot or will not let his kids do anything by themselves."
Some naivete: "I would really like it if you wore lingerie more often," the dad might want to tell the Baby Raising Partner (at his own peril).
The obvious: "The popular 'I'm not discussing this' is no good for you two."
"If you know from experience that your childs throws a tantrum when you take new toys back from him, don't pop into the local toy store just for fun."
It's a harmless read and enough gentle poking to make it fun at parts, but it's no Dr. Spock.
Sharon Haddock is a professional writer with 35 years experience, 17 at the Deseret News. Her personal blog is at sharonhaddock.blogspot.com.
- The No. 1 cause of divorce may not be what...
- 10 million views in 10 days: Behind the...
- Working on Thanksgiving Day? Here's why most...
- 'Say Thanks': Facebook launches new feature...
- American Fork High School Marching Band ready...
- Children in foster care need this one thing...
- The factors that drive or deter teen sex
- Eddie Redmayne shines in charming,...
- The No. 1 cause of divorce may not be... 21
- 10 million views in 10 days: Behind the... 14
- Working on Thanksgiving Day? Here's why... 12
- The factors that drive or deter teen sex 10
- Families have become the scapegoat of... 9
- Be thankful — there's a theology... 6
- About Utah: Now, he's been everywhere 5
- A community of theater: Utah theater... 2