New fathers looking for a friend along the way may enjoy the new book "Dude, You're a Dad!"
It's light, easy and written rather uniquely with little riddles at the end of the chapters and a series of Crib Notes that sum things up (things you just read).
There's some enlightening information here and there. For example, did you know a baby recognizes his mother's voice and smell from the start but doesn't recognize her face for several weeks?
Did you realize your mama grizzly will feel protective toward her cubs? They become her top priority while other things — including you — get pushed down the list.
"If the baby wants to eat, sleep or throw a fit, it doesn't matter where you are or what you had planned."
But it's basic stuff based on limited life experience.
John Pfeiffer is a dad (of three) and the author of "Dude, You're Gonna Be a Dad!" so apparently that qualifies him to hand out advice.
The problem is that his advice is fairly simplistic and may annoy some who've discovered every child is different and requires additional and new training in the trenches.
However, the book does make an effort in that there is some humor: "Constant change with the caregiver causes babies some stress."
Some realism: "A helicopter is a whole new kind of parent who either cannot or will not let his kids do anything by themselves."
Some naivete: "I would really like it if you wore lingerie more often," the dad might want to tell the Baby Raising Partner (at his own peril).
The obvious: "The popular 'I'm not discussing this' is no good for you two."
"If you know from experience that your childs throws a tantrum when you take new toys back from him, don't pop into the local toy store just for fun."
It's a harmless read and enough gentle poking to make it fun at parts, but it's no Dr. Spock.
Sharon Haddock is a professional writer with 35 years experience, 17 at the Deseret News. Her personal blog is at sharonhaddock.blogspot.com.
- Condoleezza Rice and Jenny Oaks Baker release...
- Beat the heat: 33 free splash pads in Utah
- Lagoon's Cannibal ride makes late but...
- UTubers: Lexi Walker sings 'America the...
- Brooke Romney: Why we are taking the fun out...
- Utah farmer turns alfalfa field into the...
- UTubers: Vocal Point director, mom dance to...
- An 'all-American tradition': Fourth of July...
- When Satan steals your motherhood 87
- Behind the rapid shift in public... 26
- In our opinion: Declaration of... 13
- Does Shakespeare still have a place in... 10
- Condoleezza Rice and Jenny Oaks Baker... 8
- UTubers: Vocal Point director, mom... 4
- An 'all-American tradition': Fourth of... 3
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Is family the... 2