Book Review: 'Walking with Jack' shows how far a father will go for his son (+video)
“Walking with Jack” is a five-year journal of the author Don Snyder's time and efforts with his son Jack as they pursue their love for golf.
Jack is a soon-to-be high school graduate who wants to play golf, but no universities are interested in him. Don promises if his son becomes good enough to play on a professional golf tour, Don will be his caddie. "Walking with Jack" begins and ends as a narrative that shows the lengths a father will go to support his son.
After several years, Don finds himself in St. Andrews, Scotland, to learn from the best caddies in the world. He listens to the many stories of golfers and caddies and finds himself in a world far from the one he’s known. Both father and son have individual trials, triumphs, heartbreaks and successes.
Snyder assumes a certain level of knowledge about golf from readers, which can be difficult to follow at times for those who don’t understand the game or its terminology.
The subject matter is sensitive and the author frequently uses strong language, including swearing. There are also references to drug use, drinking and other material not suitable for younger readers.
Snyder is the author of many books, including “The Cliff Walk” and “Of Time and Memory.” He lives with his wife Coleen in Maine, where they raised their four children.
Micah Klug graduated with her bachelor’s degree in healthcare administration from Brigham Young University-Idaho. She lives in Rexburg, Idaho, with her husband and daughter.
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings 'Happy' medley...
- Motherhood Matters: 3 unbelievably simple...
- Britain's little prince celebrates first...
- Dear daughter, I hope you never conform to...
- Dancing stars Julianne and Derek Hough visit...
- Kids today are less likely to become pregnant...
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout Utah
- Closet clutter: How having fewer,...
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby... 47
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- Anti-porn rally aims at keeping... 14
- Understanding and responding to the... 9
- Are Advanced Placement courses worth it? 9
- Utah kids have lower death rate, but... 9
- Most American high schoolers don't know... 8
- Wright Words: Why I’m sorry for... 4