Book Review: 'Walking with Jack' shows how far a father will go for his son (+video)
“Walking with Jack” is a five-year journal of the author Don Snyder's time and efforts with his son Jack as they pursue their love for golf.
Jack is a soon-to-be high school graduate who wants to play golf, but no universities are interested in him. Don promises if his son becomes good enough to play on a professional golf tour, Don will be his caddie. "Walking with Jack" begins and ends as a narrative that shows the lengths a father will go to support his son.
After several years, Don finds himself in St. Andrews, Scotland, to learn from the best caddies in the world. He listens to the many stories of golfers and caddies and finds himself in a world far from the one he’s known. Both father and son have individual trials, triumphs, heartbreaks and successes.
Snyder assumes a certain level of knowledge about golf from readers, which can be difficult to follow at times for those who don’t understand the game or its terminology.
The subject matter is sensitive and the author frequently uses strong language, including swearing. There are also references to drug use, drinking and other material not suitable for younger readers.
Snyder is the author of many books, including “The Cliff Walk” and “Of Time and Memory.” He lives with his wife Coleen in Maine, where they raised their four children.
Micah Klug graduated with her bachelor’s degree in healthcare administration from Brigham Young University-Idaho. She lives in Rexburg, Idaho, with her husband and daughter.
- How your premarital experiences can affect...
- Couple struggling with fertility now...
- Poll: Utahns willing to fight for Amendment...
- Utah's One Voice Children's Choir to perform...
- 32 pictures capture priceless family moments...
- How to talk to your kids about porn
- Raising a kid will cost you $245,000. Here...
- Insights from the Behavioral Science Guy: The...
- Poll: Utahns willing to fight for... 44
- How your premarital experiences can... 11
- Want to increase attraction in your... 6
- Kids' brains reorganize when learning... 5
- Innovative legal service helps those... 4
- Couple struggling with fertility now... 4
- Utah State Bar's lawyer referral... 3
- Raising a kid will cost you $245,000.... 3