Scott G. Winterton, Dnews
SALT LAKE CITY — University Neighborhood Partners, a department of the University of Utah, is hosting dinner and activities at parks on the west side of Salt Lake City this summer.
The university community and west Salt Lake residents are invited to participate in the events beginning June 18. A six-week program, Partners in the Park aims to encourage and promote higher education to youths, acquaint residents with the university and strengthen community engagement.
At the kickoff event June 18 at Jordan Park, seven scholarships will be awarded to community members who have overcome obstacles on their path to higher education. Scholarships are provided by private donors and the U. Alumni Association.
Each event begins at 6 p.m. and includes a free picnic dinner with activities for children and adults, including crafts, raffles, relay races and face painting provided by the U., local agencies and residents. Information on health services, health insurance and healthy habits will be provided.
The schedule of events is: June 18, Jordan Park, 1060 S. 900 West; June 25, Riverside Park, 739 S. 1400 West; July 9, Sherwood Park, 400 S. 1500 West; July 16, Rose Park Elementary, 1125 W. 1000 North; July 30, Poplar Grove Park, 800 S. 1200 West; Aug. 6. Constitution Park, 300 N. 1200 West.
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with...
- Pres. Nelson honored by the University of Utah
- Police seek alleged drug money from woman...
- Rep. Justin Miller pleads guilty to...
- Photo gallery: Night skies over national parks
- Utah man impresses all four judges on 'The...
- Could elephants' 'superhero' cancer guardian...
- Couple charged with stealing Hondas from TRAX...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with... 67
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes... 47
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason... 42
- Scholars disagree whether compromise... 41
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 29
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be... 20
- LDS Church leaders continue to... 17
- Judge dismisses negligence lawsuit... 15