Young man receives LDS mission call while on pioneer trek
JOPLIN, Mo. — Scott Claybrook received his mission call for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints the "old-fashioned" way. While participating in an LDS pioneer trek with the Joplin Missouri Stake, Claybrook was surprised to see a member of the "Pony Express" at his campsite, with a mission call in hand.
Claybrook's parents, along with his brother Stephen Claybrook, had volunteered to participate on the food committee for trek and brought the call to the campsite. Both parents and brother were able to watch the opening of Scott's call.
Once it was announced that the call had been delivered, more than 200 trek participants gathered around the young man in suspenders as he opened his mission call with a pocket knife. After reading the letter first to himself, Scott announced that he was called to serve in the Utah Salt Lake City East Mission.
Cheers erupted as Claybrook continued to announce that he is assigned to report to the Provo Missionary Training Center on Aug. 21, 2013.
"This all just came together and was a very last minute thing," Stephen wrote in an email to the Deseret News. "There were not very many dry eyes in the crowd. The Spirit was so strong and powerful and felt by everyone there. It was very good for the youth to be a part of this experience. We were thanked by many people afterward for sharing that special moment with everyone."
Stephen also described that after he stopped filming the event, the youths joined together in singing "Called to Serve."
The YouTube video was posted on Sunday, June 9, and it has already gained much attention. Several commentors expressed their excitement for the young man.
Nathan Willis posted, "Best way anyone has EVER received their call. Congratulations Scott!"
The video was also posted to the LDS Mission Calls Facebook page, where several videos of mission call openings are posted every day.
Sergio Peraza saw the video clip and left a comment congratulating Claybrook as well as making a connection: "I will report July 3rd. I'm going to Utah SLC West. That's great!"
Bev Whiting also commented, "I don't know this person at all, but it seemed so fitting that as he was on the pioneer trek that he should be called to SLC or the place that the pioneers were heading to establish Zion."
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving preparing...
- Wright Words: Why Thanksgiving is special for...
- 'Turbulent and incredibly productive': New...
- Elder Oaks gives special Thanksgiving...
- Traditions old and new celebrated as Temple...
- The most grateful religions in America, in...
- BYUtv docudrama 'Joan of Arc' shares...
- Elder Ballard visits refugee camps in Germany...
- Bigotry? Hatred? Christians say... 96
- Elder Ballard visits refugee camps in... 24
- LDS World: How events in Paris are a... 9
- A 4-part definition for evangelical... 6
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving... 6
- LDS Church to release 'A Savior Is... 5
- 4 effective ways to teach your kids... 4
- Wright Words: Why Thanksgiving is... 4