What's New: 'Question of the Soul' provides answers from Book of Mormon
Some books seem designed by their very nature to invite readers to form an interactive personal relationship with the words printed on their pages. The Book of Mormon is one of these books.
In "Questions of the Soul: Answers from the Book of Mormon," David A. Christensen sheds light on both the general and personal relevance of the Book of Mormon by providing a series of questions and answers we can ponder in conjunction with our own study of the scriptures.
Christensen is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and has served as president of the Chile Santiago North Mission and the Guatemala City Missionary Training Center. He recently took early retirement from his decades-long work on the Brigham Young University-Idaho religion faculty and is currently associated with the school as adjunct faculty while he pursues writing and humanitarian work in Honduras.
The author provides more than one way to read his book and more than one way to ponder and receive answers to the questions he presents. He explains the book can be read from beginning to end or isolated according to any of the book’s 44 main questions.
The “answers” to Christensen’s questions take shape in both a small sampling of relevant scriptures and brief commentary of his own. Perhaps most importantly, he provides pages for readers to ask and answer questions of their own — as well as extra space to make personal revelatory notes in each of his 44 main chapters.
As an author, Christensen’s main concern does not appear to be convincing readers to accept his “commentary,” or even the verses he uses to illustrate his chosen answers. Instead, he seems focused on helping to catalyze revelatory experiences for those who approach the Book of Mormon with “a sincere heart, (and) real intent” (see Moroni 10:4).
"Questions of the Soul" is a good book for those seeking to make the Book of Mormon a greater part of their lives.
- LDS missionaries developing strategies to...
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach the...
- Christmas lights on Temple Square in pictures...
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional tradition
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered for...
- LDS growth in India draws media attention
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Mark Twain and Winston...
- Nelson Mandela's faith made him a worldwide...
- LDS missionaries developing strategies... 50
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 26
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional... 26
- Defending the Faith: 'Pleased as man... 22
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach... 21
- What's new: 'Women and the Priesthood'... 18
- Space and religion: How believers view... 13
- Tips for living: One woman's journey to... 9