LOGAN, Utah – Utah State head football coach Matt Wells announced Friday that former Tennessee cornerback Daniel Gray signed a grant-in-aid agreement to become a member of the Aggie football team. Gray is currently attending summer school at USU. Gray must sit out the 2013 season per NCAA transfer rules and will have three years of college eligibility remaining.
Gray, a 5-foot-11, 170-pounder from Lauderdale Lakes, Fla. (Boyd Anderson HS), played in eight games as a true freshman at Tennessee during the 2012 season, including starting against Troy as he recorded a season-best three tackles. Gray recorded six tackles (5-solo) during the year.
Gray, who ran a 4.32 second 40-yard dash at the Under Armour All-American camp in 2012, was ranked as the 105th best defensive back in the nation by ESPN and 111th by Rivals following his senior season in high school.
Gray prepped at Boyd Anderson High School in Lauderdale Lakes, Fla., where he played with current Aggie wide receivers in senior Travis Reynolds and sophomore Bruce Natson. As a prep senior, Gray tallied 24 tackles and four interceptions to help lead the Cobras to a 9-1 record. As a junior, he had two interceptions and forced three fumbles.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Top 25 QB seasons in BYU history, part 1
- Top 25 QB seasons in BYU history, part 2
- College football countdown No. 40: Utah State...
- Reports: BYU's Chase Fischer to play for...
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts addiction by...
- Team Utah eliminated in quarterfinals of The...
- Randy Hollis: Finally, the state's 'Big Four'...
- College football countdown No. 39: BYU...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 104
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 45
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 30
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 21
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 15
- Former BYU guard Cory Calvert to... 7
- Morning links: Utah Utes a sleeper in... 7