The Bush and Obama administrations may be honest in their intent, with 9/11 still fairly fresh in everyone’s mind. But this is such a dangerous road to travel precisely because, if it becomes engrained in our national way of life, it can easily be used for nefarious purposes some day.
That day may not be so distant, actually.
This conversation is underway at the same time the nation is examining how the IRS could use its powers to intimidate people with a certain political view into silence. As long as mere mortals remain in charge, the two issues are not unrelated in principle.
- Letter: Minimum Wage insufficient 64
- Has Obama's foreign policy emboldened... 62
- Jay Evensen: Obama could use a dose of... 60
- Letter: Religious freedom 41
- Obama's biggest test: Ukraine 33
- Robert Bennett: Keystone: What... 32
- Michael Gerson: The GOP needs to... 22
- Letter: Reclassify ISPs as common carriers 19