SALT LAKE CITY — State School Board member Joel Coleman was selected by the board Friday to serve as superintendent of the Utah Schools for the Deaf and the Blind.
Coleman, a former West Valley City councilman who represents District 6 on the State School Board, was chosen from among three finalists to succeed retiring Superintendent Steven Noyce.
Coleman is a founder and trustee of Monticello Academy, a charter school in West Valley City, and is employed as a seminary instructor for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
“Joel was highly involved in the restructuring of the school’s superintendency several years ago, and the board felt that with his private-sector experience and charter school experience, he will bring a lot to the table as CEO of USDB,” Debra Roberts, chairwoman of the Utah State Board of Education, said in a prepared statement. “We have listened to USDB’s stakeholders, and the board believes Joel will do well at bringing parents, students and USDB staff together.”
Coleman will resign his seat on the State School Board prior to the July 1 effective date of his new position, Utah State Office of Education spokesman Mark Peterson said. Following state procedure, a replacement for the District 6 seat will be appointed by the governor and confirmed by the Utah Senate.
The Utah Schools for the Deaf and the Blind serve about 1,700 students throughout the state. Coleman will reportedly receive a $130,000 salary.
“The Utah Schools for the Deaf and the Blind have improved over the last few years,” Coleman said in a prepared statement. “I look forward to building on that success in the future.”
- Idea for Burt's Bees land to become park...
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Cars, homes, police station damaged in...
- Internet task force makes multiple arrests...
- John Williams remembered by friends as a man...
- Teen who spends his nights taking care of his...
- Learn how to become foster parent at one of...
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney... 82
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 39
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 32
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 18
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 17
- Hatch steadfast in holding up Supreme... 17
- South Jordan's FrontRunner-oriented... 10