Chad Whitlock/Desert Star Playhouse
MURRAY — Buck Sidesaddle and his trusty pal, Pronto, fight crime, three bad guys and a corrupt politician in the Desert Star Playhouse version of "The Lone Stranger: Trigger Happy."
A slapstick, original adventure that's been brought back to the Desert Star stage for a June 13-Aug. 24 run, the musical comedy tells the classic story in new ways with plenty of humor, according to director Scott Holman.
Executive producer Mike Todd said the show will be fresh every day with new jokes and asides inspired by the news of the day.
“If it’s in the news this morning, it’ll be on our stage tonight,” said Todd.
Holman said the timing of Desert Star's show with the new Johnny Depp "Lone Ranger" movie is not coincidental.
"Our motif at Desert Star is western, so this show is a natural," Holman said. "The Lone Stranger: Trigger Happy" will have updated material inspired by the movie and changed up so even those who've seen the show before will find it new.
"Lots of time, people say we copy the movies. This time, we think Hollywood copied us," he adds.
Jeff Jensen and Cory Brandenburger share the role of The Lone Stranger. Rick Miller and Matt Mullaney play the part of Pronto.
They're trying to save the town of Tumbleweed from the villain Phineas Thermadore and his witless friends.
"Between them, they have just enough brains to almost make one brain," Holman said.
Holman said the entire cast is talented and it makes for a high energy show full of surprises and over-the-top comedy.
"I think this is going to be a great show for the family for the summer," he said.
If you go:
What: "The Lone Stranger: Trigger Happy"
Where: Desert Star Playhouse, 4861 S. State, Murray
When: 7 p.m. Monday/Wednesday/Thursday; 6 and 8:30 p.m. Friday/Saturday; Saturday matinees 11:30 a.m./2:30 p.m., June 13-Aug. 24
Tickets: Adults: $13.95-$17.95, Children: $9.95 (11-under), 801-266-2600
Sharon Haddock is a professional writer with more than 35 years experience, 17 at the Deseret News. Her personal blog is at sharonhaddock.blogspot.com.
- Summer movie preview: A look at 21 films and...
- ValueSpeak: How did my toddler grandson...
- 20 years later, 'blessed' Herring believes he...
- 'Avengers' sequel is second biggest US opener...
- Steve Eaton: eBay exile is small price to pay...
- 18 of the best made-up words from children's...
- The Clean Cut: Newfound perspective inspires...
- 5-year-old rings bell, celebrates end of...
- 20 years later, 'blessed' Herring... 53
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: A different view... 7
- ValueSpeak: How did my toddler grandson... 6
- From the makeup aisle: Advice from a... 5
- Steve Eaton: eBay exile is small price... 3
- The case for renewing the War on Poverty 2
- The little-known benefit to cleaning... 2
- 'Avengers' sequel is second biggest US... 1