Belle’s Hungarian Goulash is a comfort food that features spices
I love to experiment with spices. There are so many and they all add unique flavors to whatever dish you’re creating. One of my favorite comfort foods is Hungarian goulash. The hearty authentic flavors of beef, beans, and chunks of tomato and onion are so satisfying. I also love noodles. In fact, I adore noodles. I’m a pasta freak and this dish is perfect for that. However, the one ingredient that really makes this dish special is paprika. This smoky, sweet pepper is what sets Hungarian goulash apart from anything else. You can find paprika in any grocery store, but try to find the sweet Hungarian paprika for a truly amazing flavor.
And of course, my goulash is simple to make. You can either put it together right before dinner or make it in advance and heat it up right as everyone is ready to eat.
Belle’s Hungarian Goulash
½ pound ground beef
½ cup onion, chopped
½ pound macaroni noodles
1 can (15 ounces) kidney beans
1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
3 tablespoons ketchup
1 1/2 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon paprika (sweet Hungarian paprika is best, but not necessary)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cider vinegar
3/4 cup water
In a large skillet, brown the ground beef and onions. Drain the grease. Boil noodles for seven minutes and drain. Combine the other ingredients and add to the beef and onions. Add the noodles and simmer for 20 minutes.
Brenda Stanley is the mother of five children, including two sets of twins, and a grandmother of three. She is a cookbook author and novelist. Her website is at talesofthedinnerbelle.com.
- 5 parenting lessons from movies
- Sutton Foster promises 'an intimate look at...
- 'Guardians' stays atop cinemas amid worst...
- 10 things to know before going to Salt Lake...
- 10 celebrity couples who have made marriage work
- This one thing can help predict the type and...
- BYU announces Mitt Romney, Disney...
- Salt Lake Comic Con and Utah Symphony present...
- It's about time the government... 12
- Jim Bennett: The ALS Ice Bucket... 8
- Parents respond to Nicki Minaj's 'vile'... 7
- In the Whirled: World peace and the... 5
- The Clean Cut: CBS News features boy... 5
- Would you rather get married earlier,... 4
- Getting ready for Salt Lake Comic Con:... 4
- Face time vs. screen time: The... 2